Saturday, February 21, 2009

Missing Iowa


I glanced at the woman's sweatshirt on the next treadmill and noticed the word "Wisconsin" in big black letters. Wisconsin. It still seems unreal to live here. 

Growing up in Northern California, I couldn’t imagine living anywhere else. Definitely not Iowa. Certainly not Wisconsin. But here I am…

And I like it. If I had to move, this is a nice place to live. God has been good. I like our house and church and we’ve met some nice people. We’ve been treated well. Lake Superior is awesome. I look forward to when Ashland sheds her winter coat so we can explore.
 
But being human and contrary there are times when I long for things that Ashland, as nice as it is, and as much as we enjoy it, can’t duplicate. Hence the following list:
 
Things I Miss Most From Northwest Iowa
1. Kiah - she’s technically in Adrian, MN, but close enough 

2. Grandma and Aunt Karen
3. Girls Club - waah!!!
4. Rock Rapids Library - My all-time favorite library
5. Friends - goes without saying
6. Great neighbors - We left behind the world’s best neighbors
7. B & L Café - Beth and Lawrence are one of a kind
8. Rock Rapids Fitness Center - the gym here smells funny
9. Audrey Groen - her piano playing in church
10. Sunsets - Wisconsin’s trees block the view
11. Big yard for our dogs to run around in
12. Frontier Bank - Is it pathetic to miss your bank?
13. George Recreational Trail - easy and peaceful
14. Rock Rapids Pool - Ashland doesn’t have an outdoor pool
15. Lake Pajoha - I know, I know, you'd think living three block from Lake Superior would make this a non-issue

No comments:

Post a Comment