Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Why Is Snow White?

I've pondered this of late. My kids look at me and say, "Who cares?"

But how can a person get to be 50 without ever stopping to wonder how the cold stuff piled outside as far as the eye can see gets its white color? I mean snow is crystallized water and water is clear.

I've googled this and don't understand the answers. Can someone interpret this explanation from Discoveryonline. com to someone who lost a lot of brain cells raising seven kids?

"Photons, or light particles, come in a rainbow of colors. When photons encounter an object (a mirror, a black dog, an apple), they may have various reactions: They may bounce back (reflect). They may bounce sideways (scatter). They may pass right through (transmission). Or they may assault a molecule in the object, give up their energy and die (absorption).

Individual wavelengths, or shades of color, may react differently to the same object: An apple looks red because most of the colors in the light spectrum are absorbed by the apple. (Kudos to those who are still reading. Are your eyes glazing over yet?)

That said, why is snow white? The answer lies in snow's messy constructi
on. A beam of white sunlight entering a snow bank is so quickly scattered by a zillion ice crystals and air pockets that most of it comes zinging right back out of the snow bank. No one wavelength is preferentially absorbed or reflected, so snow is essentially the color of the sunlight reflecting off it -- white."

Crystal clear isn't it? Or is it just me?

Oh well. Even if I don't understand why snow is white, I know the girls enjoy skiing on it.


And the girls lost to the boys in a snowball fight after church on Sunday.

And the snow ice cream the girls made this week tasted great.

And it was white. Very white.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting! I love that you have a big family...I hope for a big family some day!! Your blog is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it all. Don't understand a bit of it.

    :-)

    But I love to wonder with you. It is a wonder, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the same thing is true for Polar Bears fur if I'm not mistaken. It's not really white, but clear, and it just looks like it's white. What is this world coming to? Haha. Now you got me thinking though. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to sa the same thing about the polar bears. that their fur is clear or transparent not white.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey...
    Thanks for the visit. Love your snow pics!! I think we are going to get it here again this weekend.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, goodness, I've wondered that same thing, and my husband tries to explain it, but it hurts. And doesn't make sense, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha! Hm...ordinarily, I would so be into re-reading and analyzing the explanation of Why is Snow white... but after a crazy week of the most blog posting I have done in one week, since starting work full time...my mind is calling out for some rest! 2am bedtime (...getting home late and it takes me for.ever to edit and get a post together!...computer savvy, I am not!) and 6am wakeup time for work...has been interesting! a mini vacation would be great!

    Blessings & aloha! Stay warm!
    (thank you for stopping and commenting! haha brave with my pregnancy photos...well...there's one photo I came across of me holding our younger daughter immediately after she was born, where I looked frightful, with a goofy expression and bags under my eyes and not having that "glow of mother-hood" at all... on the back, I read what I wrote back then. that described it perfectly... "Fish lips"

    ReplyDelete