Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Music Lessons



“Wow, Mom. You’re cooler than you used to be.”

Thanks, I think.


Day 3 on our recent Oregon road trip. My 20-year-old daughter and I had exhausted music we both liked to listen to. Rich Mullins, Jason Gray, Jars of Clay.

I eyed her well-stocked CD case with dread, thinking there wasn’t much in there I liked. Knowing we had long driving hours ahead, I looked sideways at Kiah. “So what are some of your favorite songs?”

She glanced up in surprise. “Seriously?”

“Yeah,” I said. “Why don’t you play me some songs you like?” “Well,” she hesitated. “My very favorite group is One Republic.” She played their CD and to my surprise, I could tolerate it, though I’m not sure what all the words mean.

We did this all afternoon. Her playing songs, me asking questions like, “Why do you like it?” “What do you think the song means?” “What do you know about this musician?”

A favorite vacation memory is driving through beautiful portions of Montana listening to One Republic’s song, “Waking Up.” The first half is rowdy and I have no clue what it means, but the second half is a really pretty instrumental. Jumping to 3:17 on the song lets me skip right to the part I like.


I listened to “Waking Up” last week while fixing dinner and it just wasn’t the same without Kiah, a good stereo system, and Montana’s bright blue skies and turquoise rivers.

Kiah said this meant a lot to her and it was a special bonding moment. I cringe thinking of the many times I’ve asked the kids to turn their music down or off or to take it somewhere else.


By taking time to listen to music that touches my daughter’s heart, I touched her heart as well.


Recently my kids had friends over to play games. Everyone gets a turn to pick out a song. I chose “Hard to Concentrate” by Red Hot Chili Peppers which my son used in his wedding video.

A young guy looked at me in wonder, “You picked this?”

“Yep.”

“I’m surprised you like it.”

I grinned. “Why? Because I’m old?”

He hesitated, probably unsure how to safely proceed without offending me. “It’s just my Mom wouldn’t like it.”

We resumed our game and I smiled to myself. Thanks to Kiah’s music lessons, I can navigate You Tube with the best of them.

3 comments:

  1. Angie,

    I loved that you listened to her music ... and you listened to her. You really listened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely cool! I think it's awesome that you bonded with your daughter that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing how far just listening to music will get you! Last year, with my seniors, I let them play some of their favorite songs/videos from YouTube in class. Not always my cup of tea, but it meant a lot to them.

    ReplyDelete