Thursday, September 23, 2010

Canning Queen


Guess who's canning salsa?



Well, it's certainly not me.


I'm the one who decided after my last child was born I couldn't take care of seven children AND can. I know many amazing women who handle multiple children, garden, can, etc. etc., but I'm not one of them. Certainly homegrown produce is healthier and tastes better but I decided buying canned fruits and veggies wasn't the end of the world.

So after my oldest daughter, Christina, graduated from college this spring, she came home to live with us and decided canning sounded like fun. It would have been alot more fun if I hadn't gotten rid of all our canning jars when we moved two years ago. (Word to the wise - Hang on to your canning jars. You never know when a spark of domesticity will hit your family)

To our family's delight, she made strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, and peach jam. We had forgotten how good homemade jam tastes. I bought the fruit, pectin and canning jars (sigh!) and she's done most of the work.

It's so cute hearing her discuss canning recipes with our friends. She made salsa Sunday and tried applesauce tonight. She loves the "ping" of a sealed jar and the stash of canned goodies on a basement shelf.

Thanks Christina for all your hard work. We appreciate it and hope it's not just a phase. Just think, next summer, we won't have to buy canning jars.



Don't be fooled by Erica of the pretty eyes, messy room, and mismatched clothes. She snuck in this picture at the last minute but she did not help.

7 comments:

  1. I wish I knew how to can food. It's odd that I didn't take up this passion since my father grew and canned everything even during the last year of his life. Your pictures reminded me of those years. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That is awesome. I want to do it too but our garden was awful this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey now, I might have added an encouraging word or two! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I just made salsa too! I want to have a huge garden next year so I can do more! And you are so right - NEVER EVER give away canning jars.Those things are like gold!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks wonderful! I used to can a great deal too and then life also got in the way.....Such nice "treats" for the winter! Thanks for stopping by to say Hi! I have been so busy with my job and photography I haven't had much time for visiting blogs....Sorry....Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks and sounds wonderful! As someone who knows nothing of canning, you need to post some recipes and instructions! :-)

    ReplyDelete