Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Making Mama Happy

I said to my dearly beloved last week, "I know you love me but it hurts my feelings that you regularly blow off Mother's Day and my birthday. I know I'm not your mother and I don't need anything, but I wish you would help our girls do some- thing for me.  Some of them are young and don't have transportation or the financial resources to do it on their own."

Part of his problem is he's a pastor and Sundays are busy days for pastors and Mother's Day falls on a Sunday. Part of the problem is he's hard wired differently than me.

There are some things it seems like he should just know. If I have to explain or ask it takes all the fun out of it. But he's not a mind reader so instead of being frustrated or resentful I talked to him.

Since Keith leaves lots earlier than I do for church, we usually drive two cars. The girls left right after church and I drove home with Keith. The girls had gone shopping and packed a picnic lunch. When I got home I was told to change into hiking clothes.

I can't think of a nicer way to spend Mother's Day. We went to Copper Falls State Park in Northern Wisconsin and spent a couple sun-soaked hours traipsing the trails. Kiah had to work so couldn't go but the others laughed and giggled and teased and goofed off. Keith bought me a Wisconsin State Parks Pass.

I gleefully looked through the Wisconsin State Parks booklet, overjoyed at all the possibilities. There are 99 state parks in Wisconsin.  I so love options. 

Often it's like pulling teeth to get the girls to go hiking with me. Trying to find a time when all six of them are available is like looking for one of Willy Wonka's golden tickets.I was so blessed that they willingly went hiking and enjoyed themselves.

Of all the awesome scenery we saw, my favorite was a line of girls winding through the woods. I smiled thinking those are all my daughters.

So different. So full of life. So mine.

Thanks family for the gift of time. For doing something that isn't necessarily what you like to do, but what I like to do. Thanks for a wonderful afternoon and the making of good memories.

And please, next time. Could we remember to bring the memory card for the camera?  (Sigh! No pictures.)

4 comments:

  1. Now that is my idea of a great Mother's day! I'm going to take your lead on this and talk to my husband about how I really feel about those two days of the year. So wonderful that you have a park pass. I look forward to reading about your adventures in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how fun. No, they def can't read our minds...probably a very good thing. Yes we need to tell them what we want. They are happy to please most of the time.
    Funny (but not) that you would forget your 'memory' card. lol! I could use a new one myself..in my brain.
    And sad that we don't get any pics. Guess we will have to believe you this time, but next time you better back it up with evidence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess What? We are going camping at Copper Falls, Friday - Monday! I am so excited - it will be our first camp trip of the year. Last year Sam did his fourth grade project on the Wisconsin State Parks...we made it a goal to visit all of them together. We better get cracking! These kids of ours don't stay small for long!!

    ReplyDelete