Thursday, June 23, 2011

Faithful Follower


While on vacation last week we spent two fun hours with Keith's aunt and uncle. (I grew up on the west coast where we had "ants" and Keith grew up in the Midwest where they have "awnts." So we've compromised and when my kids are in Oregon they visit their "ants" and when they're in Iowa they visit their "awnts." Stephanie, if you're reading this post, they are your great aunt and uncle.)

Roy and Gertie have always been fun people to spend time with. They're cheerful and encouraging and make a good effort to connect with us and our children.

Two years ago Keith suggested that I let Aunt Gertie know about my blog as he thought she'd enjoy reading it. I felt awkward telling her about it because not everyone enjoys reading blogs.

But Gertie (wearing pink in the picture) did read and in typical Gertie style was enthusiastic, affirming, and encouraging. Though she's not an official follower, she regularly reads it. I find this amazing because not many people over 80 (sorry Gertie for mentioning age but I won't be anymore specific than that) do email, let alone read blogs. Keith's Mom who is the same age has never used a computer.

Gertie commented that she couldn't wait to read what I wrote about our vacation, so I decided to surprise her with her very own post. I know she's probably sputtering, making scary faces right about now but I'm 450 miles away so she can't hurt me.

The above picture is from Mother's Day when Gertie went to visit her older sisters in the nursing home. Sally, age 98, is on the left and Marie is on the right. The nursing home had a bunch of old hats and said if people would try them on they'd take their pictures. I love this picture of the three sisters, the last of the ten siblings to be alive.

I just want to publicly thank you Gertie for caring about my family and making us feel welcome and being a fun, supportive, interesting person.  We love your stories, questions, and comments. We're blessed to have you as part of our lives. And thanks again, for being my most faithful follower.

6 comments:

  1. What a sweet tribute! And I love the hats! BTW, We have "ants" in The South, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo. Sweet story too. I grew up in Northern Wisconsin and we have "ants". I moved to Western Wisconsin, they have "awnts" and I hate hearing it. I do not know why, but it gives me chills and I want to correct people IT IS ANTS!
    Silly Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the photo!

    Amazing to have that kind of family support - and I'm so glad you "introduced" us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's truly amazing and wonderful! Thank you for the introduction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Angie, sorry to have to leave a comment here, but I didn't see another way to get in touch with you. You won the book, A Billion Reasons Why by Kristin Billerbeck on my blog (celebrating 300 blog followers). Can you email me with your address so I can send it to you? Thanks! And CONGRATS!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone needs a "Gertie"! Wonderful story and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete