Saturday, October 1, 2011

So Not My Idea

There I was minding my own business listening to a friend share about the school her son would attend in the fall. Little did I know this innocent conversation would change my life.

Afterwards Anna (age 17), my quietest child, went online and looked up the school and asked if she could go there.


In the interest of having an open mind, I researched the school and agreed that yes, it was a great place. But I couldn't get past the word, "Boarding School."

Anna, my most easy-going child, was politely and respectfully persistent.

Anna has been homeschooled from the get go so I never had to do those tearful, heart-wrenching good-byes when children go off to kindergarten. With the oldest four graduated, my homeschool load had lightened substantially and it wasn't such a hard job anymore.

I said ,"No." If I didn't want to send her to a public school, why would I want to send her to boarding school? I half kiddingly growled at the friend who mentioned the school in the first place and told her, "Thanks a lot."

We visited the school last May and asked lots of questions and her Dad told her, "Yes." Aagh!!! I told him I wouldn't fight him on the issue but I wasn't happy about it.

On August 20, Anna, my cautious, timid child, began her semester at Conserve School in Land O'Lakes, Wisconsin.

I talked myself through the angst. Some parents have children serving their country in Afghanistan or Iraq. She's only two hours away.  Some parents have children in jail. Some parents don't know where their kids are. I really am blessed with a good kid who hasn't ever given me any trouble. With lots of prayer, comfort food, and phone calls, I could probably make it through a semester.

Conserve is a private semester High School, funded by an endowment from a deceased philanthropist.  The school focuses on environmental stewardship and hands-on outdoor study. It's located on a beautiful 1,200 acre piece of heaven in Northeast Wisconsin. The facilities are amazing and it truly is a great place to learn.

But I miss having her home.

I wondered how a sweet, quiet, shy, cautious, reserved person would do away from her big family for four months. She seems to be doing just fine.

 
 
 
 
 

We're all slightly jealous of the fun things she gets to do, but we've forgiven her for leaving us and look forward to her return. Five weeks down, nine more to go.

6 comments:

  1. It's been all about letting go lately, hasn't it my friend? How are YOU doing?

    You know, you can snaz things up now. With just a couple at home for now...you could maybe do some things with them. A bit of travel (school on the road?) Maybe you take some kind of class together in your interest areas. A missions opportunity? Hmm.

    Many possibilities. No guarantees that Anna will stay. No guarantees that Amy won't start getting ideas. Hmmm again. Keep your mind on Christ, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is cool! I think you groomed her for this school all along with all of the stuff you do in nature.

    "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it." You did just that!

    Is she in college or highschool?

    <3 Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet,
    She's a junior in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a big step for her. I've never heard of that school but it sure sounds like an awesome place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like she is having a blast! The photos make me think she's at camp...and you've always been a strong proponent of camp! Glad it's working out well for both of you.

    BTW: Not every mother who sends her child to kindergarten finds it heartwrenching...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are doing ok with this. I would likely be freaking out...
    On the other hand, she really does look like she is having such a great time, and the school seems really nice.
    And as we get older, it gets a wee bit easier to let them go. Well, easier than with the first two!! I cried when my son went to the Tech Center as a junior. He had to ride the bus for the first time. I had nightmares that he would fall, be awkward, etc. Prayed non-stop that whole week. But he survived and he was glad he had a taste of something he needed.

    So praying for ya sister... and yes. One day I could ride that fast ferry boat to your state, and we could chat. Don't know how close you are to where the ferry docks? We should totally plan that. In spring when I have money for a brief time! That would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete