Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Japanese Spring Fling


Our church ladies recently had a fun event, complete with luncheon and speaker. Since our speaker and her husband had spent the last six years as missionaries to American and Japanese military in Misawa, Japan we went with a Japanese theme. 

I scoured Pinterest and the internet for Japanese party ideas and true to my OCD nature found way too many ideas to use. The ideas that made it through the budget filter and my frugality had to finally pass "my time allotted to get the job done" test. 

I couldn't find Oriental looking napkins so went with spring colors. 


The blue bottles and geraniums were already on the tables so we stuck cherry blossoms in there which surprisingly looked really nice. Christina made the tables look nice. 


Menu

(We're listening to special music.  Without planning, the speaker 
and I wore matching outfits. Only she's tall and classy and I'm short and lumpy) 

Japanese Curry and rice
Veggie Tray
Oriental Slaw
Asian Salad (recipe here)

Fruit skewers 
(which didn't look as nice as the idea I took it from - click here for source)


Mock Sushi
(Rice Krispy bars, Gummy Worms, Fruit by the Foot - Recipe here)


Funfetti Fudge 
(not Japanese but looked cute - recipe here)



Japanese Flag Sugar Cookies
(Not near as nice as the original but I ran out of time. They tasted good though. Source here)


Red Velvet Cupcakes with cute Japanese umbrellas


 Special Feature
"Letters From Bayfield"
Historical monologue


Speaker
Neat lady, touching and inspirational message

 Smiles




With cute babies around, who 
needs other entertainment? 





Sisters:
Lani

 Amy

 
Anna and Kiah


Christina

 

Lani looking like a pink Yoda



Even though it doesn't look like Spring around here, 
we thoroughly enjoyed our Spring Fling. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm in the short and lumpy camp, and I think you are wonderful.

    What a nice presentation and a lovely theme of spring. The girls look beautiful in their Kimonos. What kinds of things did the speaker share? It's interesting to me as I taught a summer camp class on Japan soon after the Tsunami. We had a speaker who grew up in Tokyo but who lives and works here in North Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a great time...very creative. We had 69degrees yesterday...so I'm ready for spring myself.
    Keep up the God work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good! How fun. Where did the girls get the outfits?

    ReplyDelete