Saturday, May 26, 2012

Happy Maduation Day



I’m proud of my new word. Maduation Day is when you celebrate Mother's Day and Graduation on the same day. 

On our recent Iowa trip, I lie in bed and listen to birds sing and thank God for camp and its place in my children’s lives. Blue sky and sunshine coax me from bed.

My children have cooked a surprise Mother’s Day brunch. Between traveling and Rachel’s graduation, I have forgotten Mother’s Day.

They honor four mothers - me, a friend, and Rachel’s Mother and Grandmother. They serve our favorites:  fruit, Biscuits and Gravy, oatmeal, waffles, and deluxe scrambled eggs.

We eat this wonderful treat outside at picnic tables in the warm sun. We’ve never done this before since we’re always at church on Mother’s Day. This sweet gesture touches my heart.

Later I go with Rachel’s family to her graduation ceremony. We’re all very proud of her. The two-hour ceremony takes forever to get to “V.”

Rachel’s mother took these pictures.




Rachel and her brother Kyle

Afterwards Rachel suggests Culvers.  We discuss eating options until Rachel’s grandmother says that if Rachel wants to eat at Culvers, we should eat at Culvers. Rachel worked hard at school, not us. We’re happy that Culvers offers free Mother’s Day cones or custard cups.

Back at Andrew’s house, Kiah bakes “Black Bean Brownies.” I take one bite and cringe. “Yuck!” I complain.  “More sugar, less chocolate.”

“I already added sugar because the recipe didn’t have any. I like this amount of chocolate,” Kiah says. The recipe came from my Runner’s magazine. At least they’re healthy.”

I usually don’t criticize food but these are especially awful! 

Kiah, Rachel, and I take a walk. After twenty minutes of steady incline, Kiah turns to go further up.  (Pant, pant) “Girls,” I whine. (Pant, pant) “You asked to go on a walk, not climb a hill.” (Deep breath)

Kiah says, “This is a walk.”

I stop and shake my head. “This, is a hike."

"But you like to hike," Kiah reminds me.

"I know, but I had my mind geared for a walk, not a hike.” They humor me, but keep going and we finish the trail and “walk” back to camp.

We watch our new family video.  Andrew and Rachel love it and I see things we missed the first time. Halfway through the video, Kiah gets a brownie. When Andrew wants one, Rachel and I keep a straight face.

Andrew takes a big bite, then spits it out. He pulls brownie remnants from his mouth. “Kiah,” he sputters, “What’d you do?”

Kiah, Rachel, and I laugh. Kiah says, “They’re not that bad. I like them.”

“Well, I don’t.” Andrew wipes his mouth. “They’re terrible.”

When Andrew friends come over, Kiah offers brownies. Luke takes a bite and though his reaction is much more polite, he discreetly doesn’t eat more.

I read Kiah’s “brownie” recipe and see that they’re actually called “Adzuki Bars.” If she had called them Adzuki Bars, we wouldn’t know what to expect. But she said Brownies so we expected Brownies. They were most definitely not Brownies.”

Brunch and a pleasant family day have all been nice gifts but I still have one more to unwrap. Kiah and I go to bed and talk for two hours. It’s the best talk we’ve had in months. Our hearts connect for the first time in a long time. Two days ago she was messy, sassy Public Enemy #1. Tonight we are close friends. Moments like these are precious gifts.  

After Kiah and I finally stop giggling, I drift off to a contented sleep with a full emotional tank, having thoroughly enjoyed a satisfying Maduation Day.

5 comments:

  1. Rachel's a beautiful girl, isn't she. Congratulations to her on her graduation. And I laughed all the way through your account of the black bean brownies. I had them at Easter and they were pretty good, but then I eat gluten-free most of the time (unless I want to feel sick) so they're a nice option for me. Then again, maybe the recipe my sisterinlaw used was better than that one. lol So funny!! Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful day. Since I had the inside story it gave this rendition a different spin! Glad you had a great day and made some more great memories. I cannot believe she tried to pass those bars off as brownies...did they look like brownies? :)
    P.S. I added how I changed the photos to my post...it looked naked the way it was!
    Keep up the God work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny!
    I am glad you had that heart to heart talk. :)
    I love having them - I am sure they will be even more special as they grow older.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful 'Maduation Day'!! You were surrounded by loving family and they appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you are one busy momma! Making up a new holiday, and setting the standard with a hike and some food opinions. You rock! I think this holiday should be on a calendar somewhere...

    ReplyDelete