Monday, November 23, 2009

Dad Scores a Home Run

Friday morning, Keith surprised us by doing something totally out of character. He took us on a spur-of-the-moment day trip to Ontanagon in the Upper Peninsula (UP for short) of Michigan. Normally there is lots of snow by now, but we're having a "warm" November so trips like this are possible.

Keith woke me up by holding a map of the UP in front of my blurry eyes.

"Let's Go!" he said.

I had two intelligent responses. "Who are you and what have you done with my husband?" and "Are you feeling okay?"

He said he felt fine, but the weather was beautiful and we were burning daylight so I should get up and get going.

This was my first time in Eastern Time Zone. Kind of weird how Eastern Time juts over to catch the west corner of Michigan like that.

Keith had everyone write a paragraph about the day. I'll start with his.


Keith: Sun was up. It called, I listened, and I TOOK THE DAY OFF!! There is always work to do. It never ends, while spending time with your daughters has an expiration date.




Driving away from responsibilities felt good, somehow larceny of a moment. But in the best of company. No plan, no deadline, just being together exploring a golden day.

We found a bakery, a beach, and contentment. Slowing down. Girls walking in sand and wife hand in hand. REST.



Erica: Today we plucked up the courage to visit a different world. Where everyone says things like, "Yah, sure, you betcha." The UP seems different, set apart. The waves are bigger, the trees taller, the air smells different, and the hills look like mountains. I had my first Pasty. Yum!!!


Anna: Shining sun and yet there was fog. Freezing water, but warm (ish) air. All in all a perfect day to stop everything and explore. I liked the bakery and walking by Lake Superior. Watching Erica fall in the lake was an unexpected bonus.

Amy: I thought today would be a normal day of school. But no, it's not. I woke up like normal and went downstairs this morning and started to paint when all of a sudden Dad said, "Girls, let's GO!"

"Go where," I asked.

"To a new world, that's where. To Upper Michigan to explore."

And boy did we have fun. In November of all things.


Lani: Today was really fun. For November it was great weather and NO SNOW. I really enjoyed walking on the beach, writing my name in the sand, and watching the waves, and most of all collecting glass. I didn't mind riding in the car so long because I had some old comics to read. All in all, it's been the funnest day of November.

I'm amazed at my girls' thermostats. I'm wearing a shirt, sweatshirt, jacket, hat, and gloves. They are barefoot, playing in the water.


So Keith scored a home run and got lots of way cool points. It will be hard for me to top this.

5 comments:

  1. How sweet! What a wonderful husband and a wonderful day! Expiration dates...sigh...how true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea. I do have to question your definition of "warm" But I can appreciate a new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a GREAT day! I love your husband's paragraph! "Spending time with your daughter's has an expiration date"
    So true!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really fun. Any change or family outing is nice to cut the mundane of everyone moping around at home. In between the "excitement" kids have with snow, and the warm days are so long cabin fever kind of days!

    You asked what movie we watches. Kind of embarassed to admit, but our son Trent let us borrow some season 1 and 2 of The Office. We watched some of that. I see it gets less G rated as the seasons progress, so we will have to screen out anything from this point on.

    Wishing they made funny, intesting movies without all the garbage. Not much to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an awesome day! I wish my hubby would wake me up like that. I'll have to give him the idea...

    ReplyDelete