Monday, December 28, 2009

Andrew's Christmas Letter


Welcome one and all to the Christmas tell all

I have no choice in the matter
As I am doomed by the fall
Between the cling and the clatter
It just seems too tall
For those of us who matter
This is the Christmas Tell all.


Merry Christmas Everybody, Andrew Vik here. I have had a good year and I am thankful to the Lord for many blessings, although I’m still disappointed that I cannot grow a decent beard.

I still work at Village Creek Bible Camp in Lansing Iowa. I am gainfully employed (not sure what that means) as the program director, and helped run 12 weeks of summer programming. It was a fun experience and I will do the same thing next summer.

I have also helped build a new dining hall at camp and have learned a lot about construction. The coolest part about the whole shebang is that I became pretty good friends with the guy in charge of the project. So good of friends in fact that I was in his wedding, and he will be in mine.

So last year I had started dating a pretty awesome girl and I looked forward to what the Lord had in store for us. Well, she is crazy…in love with me.

At first she didn’t want to get married til she was done with school in five years (a tad long I thought) so I didn’t take too much stock in this cause I am me and surely she would change her mind after spending time with me.

Well sure enough, in February she said we could get married In January of 2011. Then this fall she asked when I was planning to propose. (I know, a little forward - girls were not like this in my day) because she needed to line up school housing for next year. She asked if she needed housing for one semester or two. I said as a joke (albeit one with some hope behind it) “What if you didn’t have to for any semesters?”

She really liked the idea so I talked to my parents and her parents. We went ring shopping and I proposed on her birthday. I don’t have to tell you if she said yes or not, cause one alternative is amazing and the other would have been crazy. So I’m in love with the girl and we are getting married next May.


This has been the first year I have spent without my family. They live in Wisconsin so I have seen them less than any year of my life and not surprisingly (cause my momma said this would happen) I have missed them a lot. But the good news is they love Rachel, and me too.

My older sister Christina is in Spain, and will get back just in t
ime for the wedding. Kiah plans to visit Christina in March.

Erica graduates in May which seems a little weird, about as weird as Amy becoming a teenager. Anna worked at camp with me this summer and everyone liked her more than me. Then there’s Lani, who may already be smarter than me.


My Dad (Keith, he has a beard and I don’t) enjoys his church, and I have been very grateful for his advice and leadership. My Mom is very good to me. I can always call home and get new recipes and good advice.

This year has been a great reminder of the Lord’s faithfulness. As the line from the hymn How Firm a Foundation says, “How firm a foundation ye saints of the Lord is laid for your faith in His excellent word.”

And Psalms 119:9 says, “How can a young man keep his way pure, by living according to Your word.” Every day I am reminded of my reliance on the Lord, and as I get ready to start my life with Rachel next May,
I am asking for prayers for a firm foundation grounded in God’s Word.

So that is out an eggshell a rundown of the general synopsis of the summary reviewing what’s going on in my life. Thank you for reading and as always,

In Christ
Andrew Vik

3 comments:

  1. I think you are an awesome woman and your husband must be an awesome man for making such an awesome son!

    Praise the LORD for helping you to raise such a strong, humerous, and willing arrow.

    Blessings to you!

    Love,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew, your momma must be so proud! Congratulations on your engagement. How safe and secure it must feel to have a girl pin you down, lol. You sound like quite the prize.

    Blessings on your upcoming wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This popped up on the side of one of you posts and I had a squiz.
    Love your son's querky sense of humor. Crazy to think that this was written over a year ago now!

    ReplyDelete