Monday, February 1, 2010

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree


“God, this isn’t fair. Why can’t I have daughters who don’t fight?”

Amy and Lani had just had their third fight of the morning. My patience was fried and we hadn’t had lunch yet. I sent them to separate rooms to calm down.

Suddenly I realized, I sound just like my children when I complain to God.

“It’s not fair.”
“How come I have to do this and not them?”
“You give me all the hard jobs.”
“Why do I have to do this every day?
“Why do I have to do this again?”
“It’s too hard.”
“It’s too much.”
“I can’t”
“I don’t want to.”
“Could I do something else instead?”
“How come they get that and not me?”
“If only…”
“But why?”

No wonder my children whine and complain. I do the same things on a regular basis with my heavenly Father. No doubt God is as tired of my whining and grumbling, as I am of my girl’s complaints.

God wants me to trust that He knows what’s best for me and my family. He wants me to obey Him even though I don’t always understand why.

Oh for a heart that listens better, obeys more, and complains less.

Do everything without complaining or arguing.
~Philippians 2:14~

7 comments:

  1. How often I've repeated that verse to my children only to complain to my husband, a friend or God later in the day.

    Thanks for the reminder.
    Keep up the God work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember that it's Monday. Mondays are retarded around here too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! That is SO right!
    Thanks for reminding me

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true....we all need to learn that lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, great reminder for me. Thanks!

    Michelle
    www.michellerayburn.com

    ReplyDelete