Friday, April 2, 2010

So Much For Resolutions

Keith wakes me up "early" (for me) at 7:30 am. "Want to go for a walk?"

"Ugg!!!"

He smiles and tries again. "But you said."

"Yeah, I know what I said. Give me a few minutes."

I consider whether to put contacts in, then decide that my eyeballs aren't awake.

We head toward the lake walking trail, when Keith suggests we walk down Highway 2 which is the busiest street in Ashland. I remind him that I look like I just got out of bed and feel like something the cat drug in.


I'm relieved to finally head down toward the lake, where the only people I'd possibly see are fellow exercisers, who aren't concerned about appearances and wouldn't care that the left side of my bangs are sticking straight up.

I'm enjoying the slushy sound of the thawing lake - think thousands of ice cubes gently clicking together - and watching two Canadian geese swim though said slush, when Keith asks, "Could you pick up your pace?"

"Excuse me?"

"You're walking at a "Why bother?" speed. You need to walk faster for it to do any good." That from a man whose legs are eight inches longer than mine.

I try to match his long strides and wish for the ten thousandth time that I had longer legs.

On the way home, Keith suggests we walk down Main Street.

Groan!!! I am so not dressed to be around civilized people. It is glaringly obvious that I am an imposter. People can take one look at the dazed person walking down Main Street looking like a used Q-tip and know that I am not a morning person.

We return home and I make Keith oatmeal, because I'm nice like that. (True confessions - I'm usually not up when he leaves.) He stirs flax seed and Turbinado sugar into the oatmeal and says, "Now, I could get use to this."

"Oh surely not," I reply, reaching up to smooth down my flapping bangs and dreading the thought of doing this walking/looking tired and scary/fixing breakfast thing every morning. "Surely, you'd get tired of oatmeal everyday."

******
I open an email from Keith. "Thanks sweetie for the breakfast and walk." Okay, maybe, just maybe, it was worth it.

I keep dozing off while I write this. Maybe it's time for a nap.

4 comments:

  1. Haha, yes receiving a lovely email like that would probably make it worth it! I'm definitely not a morning person either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question in my mind is "Is the cat and child yours or a neighbors?" (what we do for good blog posts! lol! )

    ReplyDelete
  3. The child is mine and the cat belongs to a friend. They took this picture for something else but I thought it went with how I felt this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie...you are hilarious. Nicely written.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete