Thursday, November 11, 2010

Feeling Blessed

Every year our family participates in Operation Christmas Child. Usually Keith or I buy supplies and the girls assemble the Shoeboxes.

I stood in a Wal-Mart check out tonight and watched four daughters buy their own supplies and realized we'd turned a corner. 14-year-old Amy used a birthday gift certificate to buy her gifts.I love seeing my children learn how to give.


We went to Wal-Mart with our youth leader and three friends from youth group. Then back to our house to laugh, shoot rubber bands, pack boxes, and eat Pumpkin Cheesecake.


We took a group picture that Keith and I zipped over to Walgreens to develop. Each box gets a group picture and a short note.

We wish we could see the recipients receive our gifts. Will they like what we chose? Are they like my kids and think underwear isn't a good gift. Will they see the love and goodwill packed in each box? Will they smile? For how long? Eat the candy all at once or dole it out?


Wishing there was more we could do, but hoping the fun of a Christmas shoebox will make a child happy and desire to know the One who made us want to give the gifts in the first place. 

 

The first gift these shoeboxes gave was to bless my heart. Now they are on their way to bless God only knows who.

  May God bless the givers and the gifts
and use them for great good.

7 comments:

  1. That is so awesome. What a great thing to do as a family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    My husband and I have been REALLY concentrating on our marriage and putting that spark back into it. It is WAY fun! We've been flirting a LOT through texting, showing flirtatious affection in front of the boys, sending each other edifying Scriptures, coming up with nicknames... just all kinds of stuff! It's fun and takes a lot of effort.

    Our church is doing the shoebox thing too. We usually do it every year. Such a blessing!

    Blessings to you,

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've done Operation Christmas Child numerous times. It's always been so much fun.
    I think it's wonderful that your daughters are now doing it on their own now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had our F*R*E*D do shoeboxes this year and have a great response. I'd like to think its out of the goodness of their heart, but I think it might be for the piece of candy they get if they bring an item for the boxes---ahh we are so simply motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh we love the shoeboxes! And how wonderful to watch your kids get the meaning behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing thing to do! Teaches your kids and blesses someone elses. Actually, blesses everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's wonderful, really, really wonderful. I'm trying to turn that corner with my boys...some days I feel like we're getting somewhere, other days not so much :)

    ReplyDelete