Sunday, December 26, 2010

Von Trapp Singers we are Not

Come Thou Long-Expected Jesus
Born to set Thy people free
From our fears and sins release us
Let us find our rest in Thee 

Question posed at dinner three weeks ago, "What do you guys think about singing as a family for the church Christmas program?"

Five answered, "Yes", one said, "No", and knowing some family members sing on pitch better than others, the last one warily asked, "What do you have in mind?

"The song we sang at our old church's Christmas program three years ago. When we sang Come Thou Long Expected Jesus to the tune of Come, Thou Fount."

Random comments over the next two weeks. 

"I'm not doing it. Singing in front of 30 people is one thing. Singing in front of 120 is another."

"You have to sing. We want to do it all together. Like the Sound of Music."

"Nope, my mind's made up."

"But you'll call more attention to yourself if you're the only sister that's not up there singing."

"I don't sing good."

"That doesn't matter. Just move your lips. You don't actually have to sing."

"Shouldn't we practice?"

"We'll practice later."
 
Israel's strength and consolation
Hope of all the earth Thou art
Dear desire of every nation
Joy of every longing heart.

Despite good intentions, three weeks passed without practicing.

15 minutes before the party began I searched out my harried husband, "We NEED to practice."  

Keith, who at that moment chose to be an optimist, said, "We don't need to practice, we'll just wing it." Unsure of our abiity to "wing it" I herded our six girls into their Dad's office for the quickest practice in singing family history.

After one verse, Keith said, "Okay, we got it - that's good enough."

Oh boy! I distinctly remember reading that the VonTrapp family practiced. Alot. 

Born Thy people to deliver
Born a child and yet a king
Born to reign in us forever
Now Thy gracious kingdom bring
 
So here we have the Von Trapp Family Wannabes Vik Family Singers making a joyful noise, some singing on pitch, some not, some just moving their lips, and some winging it,

Standing next to the loudest singing voice in the church was hard on my eardrums. Keith drowns out anybody close to him. We should have put the lip mover next to him.

I have no idea how we sounded. Who would be rude enough to tell their pastor that his family shouldn't quit their day jobs. By the lack of contract offers, we won't be doing the church concert circuit or American Idol any time soon. 

But all in all, it was fun. For the most part.

By Thine own eternal Spirit
Rule in all our hearts alone;
By Thine all sufficient merit,
Raise us to Thy glorious throne.

5 comments:

  1. I think you sounded great. I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it. If I didn't like your singing, I would just say nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! that song actually works to Come Thou Fount! HILARIOUS!!!:D
    Love your blog, don't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas!
    Would've loooooooved hearing you all sing!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where's the video?!?! I would have loved to witness the singing for myself. I am sure you sounded wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Tiffany! Noone videoed this? Too bad for us!

    ReplyDelete