Tuesday, September 4, 2012

God’s Care Package



Years ago when we lived in Oregon and had three little kids, a friend told me I wanted a Bosch Universal kitchen machine. 

“I do?”
“You do,” she stated firmly.
“But I already have a Kitchen-Aid mixer.”
“This is better than a Kitchen-Aid.”

Whoa! What could be better than a Kitchen-Aid?

I like to bake bread because it is healthier and cheaper. Store bread makes good French Toast and PBJs, but otherwise, I think homemade tastes better.

Kitchen-Aids are great but can only mix two loaves of bread at a time. Since few things smell or taste as wonderful as fresh homemade bread still warm from the oven, slathered with butter, our family usually wolfs down the first loaf as soon as it’s done cooking.

A Bosch kneads bread dough exceptionally well. I immediately saw the advantages of a machine that could mix five loaves at a time.

I balked at the price. Even though homemade bread costs fifty cents a loaf and a Bosch would pay for itself in a year, there was no way our Dad’s-in-Seminary budget could accommodate the hefty $350 price tag. I shelved the idea and plugged away two loaves at a time with the Kitchen-Aid.

After Seminary we moved to Colorado where I met friends who also owned Boschs. They raved about their wonderful machines. “You should get one,” they urged. “And an electric wheat grinder, while you’re at it.” At that time, wheat grinders were $200. By then we had five kids and still couldn’t afford either machine.

I eventually figured out how to get three loaves with the Kitchen-Aid. I didn’t mind baking but we went through a lot of bread and it was hard to keep up with seven insatiable bread-eaters.

I developed a bad case of bread mixer envy. I hid it well. Smiled politely when friends praised their Bosch. Enjoyed their delicious homemade bread. Bought fresh ground whole-wheat flour from a local bakery. I determined to live within our means and be happy with our faithful Kitchen-Aid.

After four Colorado years, we moved to Iowa where I finally saved $200. I could either buy the wheat grinder or continue saving for a Bosch. I could mix bread dough but had no way to grind wheat, so purchased the grinder.  

I didn’t talk about this with anyone. Only God and Keith knew that I coveted my friend’s Bosch.

In 1997 good friends visited from out of town. The wife handed me a big gift-wrapped box. I unwrapped the gift, astonished to see a Bosch mixer.

I looked at my friends in amazement. I knew the value so realized they had spent a lot of money. It was a generous gift. I asked how they knew I wanted one.

Susan said, “I didn’t know. But I knew you liked to make bread and thought this would help.”

Since only God and my husband knew I wanted this mixer, I knew God had laid it on our friends’ heart to buy me the exact mixer I had wanted for ten years.

I marvel that in the midst of running the universe and loving seven billion people, God took time to make one Iowa housewife’s life a little easier.

A Bosch’s high-quality motor parts are well-built and durable. Fifteen years later our Bosch still works great.  A lot of bread has slid down our gullets. I suspect a direct correlation between the amount of bread we consume and the size of our spare tires.

Last spring my friend Laura called, frustrated with her bread-making efforts. She uses a Kitchen-Aid so I suggested she try my Bosch. The bread turned out wonderful and I could see by the gleam in her eye that she had the Bosch bug. The next time I went to her house, I saw a new sleek, white Bosch sitting on the counter.

When I see my white Bosch sitting on my counter, I’m reminded of generous, thoughtful, observant friends. The type that pays attention to your likes and dislikes, are sensitive to your needs, and take pleasure in giving gifts they know you’ll enjoy.  

I’m reminded of a loving God who hadn’t forgotten me. Years before, Keith and I decided that I would be a stay-at-home Mom, which in our case meant that money would always be tight. God saw me faithfully plugging away, trying to make ends meet, working hard to feed my big family healthy food. God reminded me that He was aware of our situation. He knew our needs, and when it was the right time, He met them.

God reached down to me in a tangible way. It’s immensely reassuring to know that God cares about the details of my life, both big and small.

By giving me something only one person on earth knew I wanted, God assured me He hears my prayers. He provides for my needs and occasionally some of my wants. Just like I enjoy giving my children things I know they need and will enjoy, God enjoys giving His children the desires of their heart.

God doesn’t meet all our needs or answer all our prayers. Why He chose to answer this one and not others, I don’t know. I do know that God is wise and knows which prayers should be answered and in which way.

Things like this solidify my resolve to trust God. Trusting God because of the things I have seen, goes a long way to help me trust Him for the things I can’t see.
           
This was a defining moment for me. I learned God is thoughtful, resourceful, generous, creative, loving, faithful, aware, kind, wise, a provider, and trustworthy.

And thankfully, he also likes to send care packages.

God is great,
God is good,
And we thank Him
For this food
(and the machine that helped make it)
Amen 

I'm linking up with my friend Jennifer for:

9 comments:

  1. Hi Angie,
    I loved reading your story. It really uplifted me at a time when I needed it. Just the reminder that God is aware of what's going on with me is enough to help me get through today.
    Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friend, you sure now how to weave a story. And I love the message here. We just gotta know it, right? -- that God delights in giving good gifts to His children.

    Thank you for linking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when that happens.
    Keep up the God work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this story. Thank you for reminding me of God's goodness.
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I get your bread recipe? I sometimes pay $6 a week on bread!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is such a blessing when the Lord drops our desires into our lives, either that others didn't know OR sometimes, WE didn't even know what our heart wanted. He's so kind and gloriously surprises us! Glad you love bread and others love YOURS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a really cool story! I love how God is always in the "little" things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I love these stories that show how deeply (and in the tiniest ways too) God loves us. I got goosebumps reading of you discovering what was in that box.

    Thank you Father for caring for us like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This story was so sweet and encouraging. I think we were neighbors at Jen's place. Blessings to you :)

    ReplyDelete