Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Thanks, Irene

The call every mother dreads.

Earlier yesterday evening, I heard a siren in the distance signal an emergency and a life being turned upside down. If I'd lived here longer, I might know who was in trouble. But being new to the area, most likely I don't know them. I often pray when I hear sirens, asking God to be with the sick or injured person and to help the family members involved.
Little did I know, 450 miles away, my daughter had her own sirens.

Yesterday, while we were eating dinner and blissfully unaware, Kiah was in an accident with her boyfriend, Mark. They rolled four times and miraculously weren't seriously injured. Lots of bumps and bruises, lots of aches and pains, but for the most part okay.

Kiah called Irene Gacke who lives close to the crash site. Irene and her husband, Mike, stayed with Kiah and Mark until help arrived. Irene and Mike drove Kiah and Mark to the emergency room and stayed with them for three hours. Then took them out to eat afterwards. Then took them to their house to spend the night because Kiah had a concussion and needed to be observed.

(Picture of Irene and Kiah taken a year ago at Kiah's graduation)

Irene, I can't thank you enough for taking care of my little girl. Thanks for mothering Kiah and treating her like one of your own. Thanks for making sure she was okay. Thanks for being her port in a storm. You went above and beyond the call of duty and I greatly appreciate all you did. May God reward you for your kindess.

I want to shield my children from pain and heartache. To spare them difficulties and trials. I don't want them to learn things the hard way.

I don't like being a long distance mother. If Kiah still lived with us, I could take care of her. I made her favorite cookies today and mailed them to her. What a pitiful, inadequate way to express what's on my heart:

*I'm glad she's okay

*I'm glad it wasn't worse

*I'm glad they wore seatbelts

*I trust God knows what He's doing

*God protected Kiah in the accident. He can help her with the aftermath.

*I wish I could be there for her

*Her life could have ended. Just. Like. That.

*Even though it didn't, possible scenarios keep running through my mind

*Most of all I'm thankful, that if yesterday had been Kiah's last day on earth, I know her eternal affairs are in order. She loves God and has a personal relationship with Jesus. Even though, we'd miss her terribly, I know for a fact that she would have gone to a much better place.

Thank-you Jesus for loving Kiah more than I could ever hope to and for leaving her with us for now. I know someday you'll call her home, but I'm selfish enough to be glad it wasn't yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angie--
    So glad Kiah is doing fine. These things happen so fast. I often pray when I hear sirens that the Lord will use this accident as an opportunity to draw the victim closer to Himself. I pray the same for Kiah and Mark.

    From your post, I can see He used it to remind many of us of the brevity of life and that we will live forever...we just need to choose where.

    Keep up the God work.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete