Thursday, December 22, 2011

Chai High

Smelled good in our house tonight. 

My friend Tina, who runs the awesome Bed and Breakast that I blogged about here, graciously shared her homemade Chai Tea recipe. I didn't know what half the ingredients were so shopping today was an education.

Family reactions varied.
Erica, as she poured another cup: This is the best Chai ever!!
Kiah:  You should lighten it up with two percent milk.
Keith: Does someone want mine? I don't really like Chai. 

If you feel adventurous and want a special occasion treat, try this. Your family and friends will be amazed. If you like Chai tea, you'll like this. If you don't like Chai tea, you'll like this. (Unless you're my husband.) 

I bought the bulk spices at a health food store.

Chai Tea


2-in. piece of fresh ginger, cut into thin rounds        
2 cinnamon sticks
2 t. black peppercorns (who knew?)
12 whole cloves
10 cardamom pods
2 anise stars
½ t. whole allspice
6 c. cold water
6 bags of black tea (preferably Darjeeling)
3 c. whole milk
½ c. half and half
½ c. (packed) golden brown sugar
½ c. honey 


(The blue pitcher contains milk. Our milk comes in plastic bags.) 


Fresh ginger root 
(smells nice when sliced)


Cardamon pods


Anise stars
(Smells like black licorice)


Combine first 7 ingredients in medium saucepan.  Using mallet or back of large spoon, lightly crush or bruise spices.  


Add 6 cups of water; bring to boil over high heat.  Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover pan, and simmer gently 10 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Add tea bags and steep 5 minutes.  (in case you can't tell, those are floating tea bags in the pot.)


Discard tea bags. Add milk, half and half, sugar, and honey.  Bring tea just to simmer over high heat, whisking until sugar dissolves.  Strain Chai into teapot and serve hot.                               
 

Mmm, mmn, good!!!


5 comments:

  1. Sounds great. I love chai tea, but I do it the cheater way. I love chai tea with vanilla and soy milk cold, too. On ice. But that's ready made too. So now you know. I'm a cheater and a fake. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better you than me! I've never been able to get over the smell. Reminds me of stinky feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! My husband will love this! I can't wait to release the scent of those spices in our kitchen. You've just helped me to make another Christmas surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Chai tea so I thik I would love this! Were you able to find all of these items in the grocery store or did you have to go to the coop for any?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanne, I got the ginger root, anise stars, cardamon pods, and whole cloves at the coop. Everything but the anise stars can be bought in bulk so you only buy as much as you want. The anise stars come in a bottle for around $4 and I only used a few of them, so if you want to try this let me know and I'll be glad to share some stars with you.

    ReplyDelete