Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Keith's Christmas Letter

(Keith and I take turns writing our Christmas letter. He weaseled out of it last year so this year was definitely his turn.) 


2011, I believe, is a prime number…or not?

This is a question of importance when living with the “wife of my youth.”  She loves odd numbers (me) and prime numbers (also me, currently 53).  Growing old with her is fun and “silver” suits her well.  Her blog is the best way to see what is happening in our world of Vikdom and living Up North. 

You can also find Vikdom on THE Facebook: Most of the family actively lives on the net.  Lani is not eligible yet, but I think she finds somehow to communicate via siblings. 

You will not find this prime number on said source…its invasive and promotes way too much self-esteem or something like that. I will use the US Postal service until its demise! I do have a cool I-phone on which I am fast advancing the rungs of perfection in Angry Birds.  Call me anytime. I love the sound of the human voice and you don’t have to use funny symbols on the keyboard 8>).

There once was a time without phones, radios, TV’s, computers, cars, or electricity. My, oh my, how busy we are. Let’s slow down!  (Insert collective groan from the girls. "Dad, you're starting to preach.") It’s my #1 frustration as a pastor of a wonderful church. The more we have, the more the more takes over.  I want my kids to learn a life of simplicity and service to others.  Busy is too easy to do.

This was the year of my style of vacation: a beach, a book and no agenda. Ontonagon, Michigan is a wonderful place to slow down.  Most of the girls were there and we enjoyed board games, beach time, hiking the woods, sleeping like hibernating bears, hot dogs roasted on the beach, and coffee at a local café. Eight days went too fast, but don’t busy days as well?


Twitter style story lines for the girls:

Christina - nursing school, helps with youth group, traveled to Honduras, Boston, NY, works at a marina, great young lady                    

Kiah - nursing school, helped with young adult summer outreach, ran first marathon, barista, bought a Daewoo?! Luvlygal                                 

Erica - tech school, gone to camp all summer, barista, bought first car (black, stick, sporty) sees the good in folks                 

Anna -  gone for 6 months at camp & boarding school, quick wit and laugh, stretching her world, beauty, no beast        

Amy - finally in high school, wants to drive, knows Everybody! Took over Anna’s room (has to give it back)  lil’ lady                

Lani - most girls (believe me) are sloppy, not this one, loves to find bargains at thrift stores w/ Mom, glowing gal

(All daughters available for marriage, though two will have to be on layaway, so take your pick all qualified cute and employable guys. Dentists, auto mechanics, and plumbers have an advantage in dowry contracts.) 

Andrew and Rachel continue to become their own family and a great asset to Village Creek Bible Camp.  Rachel graduates from UW LaCrosse in May. We get to see them for Christmas!  (And yes, we’re excited) 

  
It is our hearts desire for you to know the One who was born a baby, died a lamb, raised a Savior and sits as King: Jesus Christ, the Lord!  Joy to you, in Him, this coming year. 
   
For the family,  
Keith.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome update. Course, not thinking the girls will be happy with the laxidaisical (wow, my spell check didn't go off!) way you sort of 'auctioned' them off! But I know the real dad will be cleaning that gun when some guy gets serious. And nice sermon on the end there. Amen.
    Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful wrap-up by Dear Dad! He is a whiz at words and quite humerous...

    Happy New Year to you and the family Angie!!

    ReplyDelete