Saturday, April 16, 2011

All's Well That Ends Well

It's a good thing I have kids so there's something to blog about. This week the girls provided another doozy.

Keith and I were five hours away at a conference. The two youngest spent the week with their brother and his wife, leaving the oldest four at home to fend for themselves.

A Facebook spot check turned up this post by Nathan, the adopted college student from my last post.

Nathan: Hey Christina Vik, how do you get a garbage can out from under a car at 1 in the morning?..... you need 3 people and a saw.

Since my kids and their friends regularly quote movies, songs, or YouTube videos and I don't understand half of what they say, I figured Nathan was referencing an inside joke. 

Then I remembered that the trash was supposed to be taken out the night before. Keith hadn't told the girls to take the garbage out before we left. What were the odds they'd remember on their own?

I commented on Nathan's Facebook post, "I'm hoping this was a hypothetical question."

Keith took it at face value, saying, "I bet someone ran over the garbage can." That made the most sense, but what about Nathan's reference to the saw?

Finally Keith called Christina and asked what happened to the garbage can. She naturally wondered how her Dad found out. When we said Facebook, she probably considered unfriending me. 

We weren't mad. I ran over the same garbage can myself two years ago and blogged about it here. But the question begs, what was the saw used for?

Turns out Polar Plunging, Motorcyle Mama Christina and her friend Kathy, of the skunk-sprayed dog fame, were watching Dave Ramsey DVD's at our house. Erica had put the garbage out earlier and Kathy backed over the garbage can when she left. 

She didn't realize what had happened and wondered what the strange noise was. Then she came back to our house to figure out the problem. They looked under the car and the can had bent in half and lodged in the undercarriage. 

They tried pushing, kicking, huffing and puffing, but nothing dislodged the garbage can. Christina called Nathan who tried pushing, kicking, huffing, and puffing with the same results. Finally he took the saw and cut the can out. Mind you a week's worth of garbage was still meshed in the tangled garbage can. 

So now we have a nice new black garbage can which is actually bigger than the old one. 

All I can say Christina, is you've gone above and beyond to do your part to provide blog fodder for awhile. You might want to let one of your siblings take a turn.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. Too funny....but wait. There must be a lesson in it,right?
    So what was the theme of the conference? Cuz maybe you were supposed to apply it here. I'm one of those exhorter type people who always want to get back around to 'what God's teaching everyone in this'. (anxiously awaiting your response).

    ReplyDelete
  2. tehehe! That's funny! So glad mine are too little to drive over trash cans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I love the new blog look! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this blog gets more entertaining every week! I should have had more kids. They must have been thinking about the jaws of life to free the trash can! LOL!

    ReplyDelete