Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Motorcyle Mama


As I gleefully posted a video on my oldest daughter's Facebook wall today, I wondered if something is wrong with me. Should a woman my age, a pastor's wife no less, do stuff like this?

First a little background info.

You see, Christina, this little cutie 


morphed into this fine independent 25-year-old lady. 


A Dave Ramsey disciple, and devoted to getting out of debt,


she moved back home after graduating from college last spring so as to more efficiently chip away at her college loans.  To keep expenses down, she doesn't have a car so either walks, rides her bike, takes the bus, or asks for rides.

She informed us three weeks ago that a friend from Bible Study was giving her a ride down to ISU in Ames, IA to visit college friends. "How nice," we thought until...

Josh showed up the day before they left to give Christina a ride on his motorcycle.  It was a little out of the ordinary so I asked what the motorcycle ride was all about. 

Turns out, that's how they planned to ride to Iowa. 

Whoa Nellie!!!!

I'm all for travel and adventure and seizing the day and getting good gas mileage but traveling 450 miles this time of year with a 50 lb. backpack strapped to her back didn't seem sensible or comfortable.

I like and trust Josh but I can't help being a Mama bear. When he showed up the next day I looked him straight in the eye and said, "Young man, I put a lot of time, energy, and emotion into my baby here. You are carrying precious cargo so this trip is NOT the time to play chicken with other vehicles, or do tricks, or see how fast your bike can go. Can you promise you'll be careful?"
     
He smiled like he deals with pushy Mama bears all the time and assured me that he'd go the speed limit and promised to be careful. 

I called the girls downstairs and told them to say good-bye to their sister as they might never see her again. 

Watching them load the backpacks on the bike and drive off did nothing to alleviate our fears, but she's an adult and we hoped she wouldn't wear out her guardian angel.
 

 

Long story short, they made it fine, even though it snowed for part of the way. Brrr!

Now that she's home again safe and sound, we can laugh about it.

And make silly videos.

When thinking about how to blog this story, I remembered a 70's song called "Motorcycle Mama" by a group named "Sailcat." I showed Kiah the song on Youtube and she suggested making a video. I downloaded the song from Amazon off an album called "One Hit Wonders." A few grins and giggles, snorts and snickers later we uploaded the video to Facebook and waited for Christina to discover it. 
     
She did not disappoint. She had been taking a nap and stumbled into the kitchen with messy hair, eyes at half mast, and asked in a stern groggy voice, "What did you post on Facebook?"
    
"Why do you ask?"

"Josh just texted me and said your Mom posted a funny video on Facebook."

So I showed her and she shook her head and said, "You're something else."

Which I'm hoping is a good thing. Christina and Josh are just friends and half of the words in this song don't apply but we couldn't resist.


So you decide, is there something wrong with me?

All this might make one wonder after the skunk episode, the winter-defying polar plunge, and these motorcycle shenanigans how Christina will top this. What will she think of next? 

I'm linking up with Rachel at Once Upon a Miracle for True Story Tuesday. I look forward to her funny stories and this week did not disappoint. 


5 comments:

  1. Oh, that was cute. I remember that song! Yes, it is perfectly ok for you to post that on your FB! LOL! I am a PW, too! Did you know that a "sail cat" is a cat that has been run over by so many cars that it is now hard and flat and you can pick it up and sail it in the air like a Frisbee? LOL. My brother owns the biggest biker bar on the east coast, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bwahahaha, so cool! It's perfectly fine to create videos like that!!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see nothing wrong with that! You are one of the coolest moms I "know". Heck, my mom refuses to get on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad drives a motorcycle but my kids are NEVER going on it:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Your daughter is a ROCK STAR - as Dave Ramsey would say. :-) We are also Dave Ramsey fans.

    ReplyDelete