Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Blog Hop - Week #4 - Homemade Peanut Butter

Bloghopping has been so much fun the last few weeks. I've met nice people and found interesting blogs. If you'd like to participate, follow the directions at the end of this post.

Unfortunately my blog sometimes acts up. If an annoying white screen pops up, click ok and then click the back arrow button at the top left of the computer screen. It sometimes takes 3, 4, or 5 times before it works. I love to get comments, so if that screen pops up, please keep trying.

This weeks blog hop assignment is to share a favorite recipe. Since the most commented part about my last week's Blog hop post was that I like Peanut Butter on waffles, I am sharing how to make homemade peanut butter.

This is the simplest of recipes.

Pour one or two 16 oz. jars of dry roasted peanuts (depending on how much peanut butter you want) in a food processor. Run the processor until the peanuts turn to Peanut Butter, usually about four to five minutes.

I bought my Kitchen Aid food processor at a garage sale fifteen years ago. It's always worked great except the thing that pushes the button down to run the processor is broke, so I have to push it down manually the whole time with the pointed end of a plastic little girls barrette.

My girls love to watch me make peanut butter. At first it makes a dry paste which gradually gets creamier. At some point the peanut butter forms a ball that rotates around the white knob in the middle. It gets smaller as it goes round and round. When the last part of the ball melts into the mixture, the peanut butter is done.

If we want crunchy peanut butter, we save some peanuts and add them at this point and process it for a few more seconds until we get the desired consistency.

Some people add a little oil to make it smoother. I usually don't.

We love fresh peanut butter right after its made. It's warm and tastes great on crackers. We also like using homemade peanut butter to make peanut butter cookies. And, like I shared last week, I love it on waffles with syrup.

I store the peanut butter in a plastic container. Homemade peanut butter must be refrigerated or the oil separates and it's a pain to stir back in. In fact, that's one of the reasons I don't like buying natural peanut butter in the store. I hate stirring the oil in.

My peanut butter tastes like peanuts. Store peanut butter tastes like somebody monkeyed with the taste and texture.

My peanut butter has one ingredient: peanuts. Store peanut butter has these. I stopped counting ingredients after 20:


Try this recipe and your family will think you're amazing.

Thanks for stopping by.




MckLinky Blog Hop

7 comments:

  1. Hoppin' by...thanks for the great idea and directions. I LOVE peanut butter but I have never made it myself. I just might try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome and easy peasy! Thanks so much! I didn't know it was so easy. Huh, go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've never made homemade peanut butter, but I bet my boys would have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! Your recipe sounds delish.. I have written it down to try, thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your recipe sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing and for stopping by my blog yesterday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!
    Thanks for the nice comments about my blog! The karmel korn recipe does call for sweetend condensed milk. sorry for the confusion. I'm going to fix that in my post.
    I can't wait to make homemade peanutbutter. My husband will think I'm the greatest if I make this! Thanks for letting me know how easy it could be!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is great! I have been looking for a good recipe to make your own peanut butter...
    Like you pointed out, there is a lot of crap in store bought PB and that can't be good >.<
    On a side note, you have the same background as me :D :D :D

    Happy Hopping!

    ReplyDelete