Saturday, July 4, 2009

Peek Into the Past - Part 1

In 3 days, 1 hour, 21 minutes and 40 seconds (Central Time) on Tuesday, July 7, 2009 Keith and I will celebrate our 25th anniversary.

So for kicks and giggles let me take you back to 1980 when we first met at college in Morrison, Colorado which is a smidge southwest of Denver. Little did we know that first day we met what the future had in store.

I have taken a little literary license, but this is more or less the way it happened. This won't be the most exciting thing you've ever read, no soundtrack or high-budget special effects, but we can't all be as interesting as Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. I'll finish the story in my next post.

Scene 1

KEITH - (Fresh out of the Marines, responsible and disciplined written all over him, checks his watch and knocks on an office door. Walks in and sees a guy sleeping, tipped back in his chair with his feet on the desk.) Wakes the guy to ask, "Is orientation today? I thought it started at 10:00"

LAID BACK COLLEGE STUDENT: (Yawns) "More or less. Most people won’t start trickling in til this afternoon. What’s your name?"

KEITH: "Keith Vik"

COLLEGE STUDENT: "I’m Tom Bennett, (shakes hand) Where you from?

KEITH: "Rock Rapids, Iowa."

TOM: "Just get into town?"

KEITH: "Got in last night. Wanted to make sure I was here on time."

TOM: "Where’d you sleep?"

KEITH: "Hotel."

TOM: "You could have stayed here. Anyway, here’s your room key. See you around."


SCENE 2
Keith sits at table reading newspaper.

GIRL #1 (approaches him) "May I sit here."

Keith lowers newspaper long enough to nod and then goes back to reading.

GIRL #1: "I’m Kelly, what’s your name."

KEITH: (mumbles) "Kmgheth"

GIRL #1: "What?"

KEITH: "Kweitshqu" He stands up and walks off without another word. Keith accidentally bumps into another girl. "Sorry," he mumbles.

GIRL #2: "No problem. I’m Suzanne, what’s your name?"

KEITH: (looks everywhere but at her and mumbles) "krtysge"

GIRL#2: "What?"

KEITH: "Kzxcvb" (scurries around her to class)




SCENE 3 - Two days later.

KEITH: (walking, wearing high water pants, polyester shirt, sporting a growing out Marine high and tight haircut, complete with whitewalls around the ears, carrying an armload of books. He stops to watch a girl in a hippie-like flowing dress and high heels, attempting with a young man to carry a desk down a small hill. ) He rolls his eyes, and asks in a condescending tone, "Need help?"

GIRL: (looks over) "We’re fine."

KEITH: "But you’re wearing high heels."

GIRL: "I didn’t have time to change." Girl lurches and table dips.

KEITH: "Here, you might break an ankle. Let me help."

GIRL: "Fine, but we’re going all the way over to the girl’s dorm."

KEITH: "Why exactly are you moving the desk?"

GIRL: "I came a day late so got last pick of rooms. My small bedroom doesn’t have space for a desk. I put my dresser in the closet and asked for a desk, but since I got there late, had to move it myself from storage."

Keith and other young man drop the desk at her dorm room. Other guy takes off.

GIRL: "Thanks for helping. I really appreciate it. My name’s Angie, what’s yours?"

KEITH: "Keith Vik. Why did you get to orientation a day late?"

ANGIE: At camp this summer I met a girl on a backpacking trip who attends college in Chicago who offered me a ride here. But she lived in southern California and I lived in Northern California. At the last minute I found a ride to Southern California. I met up with my friend, and then we drove to Tuscon to visit her Grandma. We camped along the way and saw the Grand Canyon, and Four Corners, and camped some more and then she dropped me off here one day late on her way to Chicago."

KEITH: "Let me get this straight. You went from Northern California to Colorado by way of Tuscon."

ANGIE: "Yeah, wasn’t that neat how everything worked out?

KEITH: "That’s one way of looking at it. I need to go study."

ANGIE: "But school hasn’t started yet."

KEITH: "I’m getting a head start."

ANGIE: "Thanks again. Nice meeting you."

Tune in tomorrow for the thrilling conclusion to this highly suspenseful story.

No comments:

Post a Comment