Monday, July 20, 2009

Not Me Monday - History Lessons

I am participating again in MckMama's Monday blog carnival. This week's assignment is to highlight something crazy or embarrassing our kids have done. To read other Not Me posts, check out the fun at mycharmingkids.net.

If you're visiting today, please use my comment box as a guest book and consider leaving a note and tell where you're from.

I did not give Andrew and Kiah an Usborne book about the Ancient World when they were ten and eight and then not pay attention when they asked why the Greeks didn't wear clothes. I always give my kids my unidivided attention and make every attempt to answer their questions, so I did not say, "I don't know."

So when I came in the house after weeding the garden and found them dancing naked in the living room, I did not freak out and say, "What in the world are you doing?"

Andrew grinned from ear to ear and explained, "We're Greeks."

I was not momentarily confused, wondering what being Greek could possibly have to do with being naked. Then I remembered their earlier question.

"Let me see that book." I hurriedly found the section on Greece and sure enough, those immodest ancient Greek Olympians did not wear a stitch of clothing when they competed. Apparently the early Olympics were R rated.

My kids are half Scandinavian. There is not a drop of Greek blood in their body. But even if there was, we don't exercise in our birthday suits.

So I did not put The Ancient World book on a high shelf, give them a book on Pilgrims, and tell them to get dressed. Nope, not me.

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your very cute post. Thank you for sharing. Hope to see you
    Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny! We have that same book, but the Greeks in our book are wearing black, sharpie marker clothing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by our blog! My ife does a great job with the site, so it's onyl fair that I help her out :)

    My you have a bunch of kiddos! My journey down that road has only just begun.

    And the Ancient Greeks wore no clothes because in their culture, they admired the beauty of the body in its rawest form. Ancient Greek atheletes were considered pristine physical speciens, and were admired and revered by all...or so I think I remember :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is HILARIOUS, what a great story. I'm going to share it with my hubby. Congrats on so many children, what an immense blessing!

    I love the look of your blog. I'm going to copy your idea of adding the kids photos and bios in the sidebar!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the nice comments on our Not Me post. We love your blog!

    ReplyDelete