Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Fearless Four

I know people are getting tired of winter so I apologize for one more winter post, but I thought these pictures were kind of cute and couldn't resist.

We're so blessed to live a 35 minutes from Mt. Ashwabay Ski Hill. "Ashwabay" is a combination of the three closest towns: Ashland, Washburn, and Bayfield. Ashwabay is very family-friendly, within driving distance, and affordable.

I grew up in Northern California where it rarely snowed. Closest ski places were five hours away at Tahoe and Squaw Valley. My family didn't have money to ski. None of my friends skiied either.

We lived in Colorado for many years but couldn't afford to ski there.

But this we can afford. We have a season's family pass, which for a family our size is a great deal. We were loaned one pair of skis and were given another set. The other two girls got a seasons rental pass. We know there are bigger, better ski hills but Ashwabay works well for us.

Our girls went to ski school this winter, which is nine Saturday morning group ski lessons. They had a ball and learned so much. The teachers were wonderfully helpful and encouraging.

My four skiers and two friends


The girls are light years ahead of me. I look at the bunny hill and think it looks steep. This is the second year I've watched them ski without working up the courage to try it myself. Don't hold your breath, but Keith and I said maybe we'd try next year.

My girls make their Momma nervous at times but I don't want them to be chicken-hearted like me. I like to do safe things like blogging and making granola. Sliding fast down snowy hills looks scary. Maybe I'll just close my eyes.

Ski School has races the last day of class. Each contestant skis a course one at a time and whoever has the best time wins.

Erica


Anna


Amy

Lani


Ski School teaches them to ski first without poles. This is Lani's second year without poles.

Most of our snow is melted so skiing is done for this year.

This is my last winter post, I promise.

Be sure to enter my Blogaversary giveaway. Click here for details.

2 comments:

  1. Not even a 'bunny' hill for me, but maybe a mole hill! Glad you are having fun. Could you get over it now, so spring can go ahead and come?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried it once when I was in High School. I didn't like it. That's so cool that they enjoy it so much. Our snow is finally gone here but we are expecting snow Monday and Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete