Friday, July 22, 2011

Eagle's Wings

Christina announced that her birthday gift to herself was to go Skydiving.

Excuse me, as in jumping out of a perfectly good airplane and trusting science and technology to help you safely land in one piece?

To solidify her resolve, she posted her intentions on Facebook. 

Comments quickly appeared.
     "Have fun"
     "You the bomb...I mean parachute."
     "Don't do it."
    "The saying, 'If at first you don't succeed, try try again' doesn't apply to skydiving."
     "Wear a nose protector."

I sarcastically said, "If you don't come back, can Kiah have your laptop?"

The mother of the friend who went with her left her a sweet note with the verse Isaiah 40: 31 - But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles..."

Wish I'd thought to be encouraging rather than sarcastic.

She talked three friends into going with her. 


They drove up to Duluth and flew out of Superior (Duluth's twin city on the Wisconsin side)


 

Two went up at a time. 


Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth.




This was a tandem jump so they're attached to someone who knew what he was doing.






They celebrated with a Peanut Butter Pie


Christina admitted to being nervous before-hand and second guessed whether it was a good idea or not. But she's glad she did it, thought it wasn't as scary as she had imagined, and would like to do it again sometime.

All I can say is I'm glad someone else went with her. I love her, but not enough to throw caution to the wind and spit in gravity's face.

One more item off her bucket list. Three dozen more to go.

5 comments:

  1. What a brave young lady! I am waaaay to chicken to do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for her! Best to do those things while you are young and unattached...once you get married and have kids...things get complicated!
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm too much of a scaredy cat - way to go girl! I would have totally been down for the pie, though... just saying' :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those facebook comments... And glad she is safely back on the ground! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post! Good for Christina! If she ever travels to the Outer Banks she should check out Kitty Hawk Kites. She can learn to hang glide! It's wonderful. I learned to take off and land on the sand dunes but now I'm hoping to learn by being towed up in a glider by a small plane and set free. I'm too scared to jump off a mountain but who knows, maybe some day!

    ReplyDelete