Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Memorizing James

Our last night of Bible Study. We eat, talk, pray, and eat.

We’ve just finished Beth Moore’s eight-week study on the book of James. 

Annette stands up to recite the WHOLE book of James. I’m impressed that she's memorized so many verses but I'm expecting dry monotone.

What I hear takes my breath away. A beautiful dramatic delivery, spoken with strength and conviction. One of the most amazing things I’ve ever heard.

We listen with rapt attention. We sit spellbound as the word of God pierces our hearts. I get goose bumps as the ancient words come alive. A contented peacefulness settles on the room. My heart feels soft and clean.

My eyes tear up and I’m not exactly sure why. A few sniffs in the room tell me I’m not the only one.

This is one of those rare moments when the veil between heaven and earth is thin. God feels so near and I know that He is pleased that Annette hid His word in her heart.

Our cups are full. We don’t want it to end, but all too soon it does, and we applaud and thank her for sharing her gift.

I tell Keith when I get home and he asks Annette to share it again in Sunday School. She graciously complies and we are mesmerized by rhythm and cadence, tone and inflection, and words that are just as true today as when they were penned almost 2,000 years ago.

Keith asked Annette how she did it. She said James has always been a favorite book. Being in her early 50’s she wasn’t sure she could still memorize Scripture. She took 2 ½ weeks to commit the five chapters to memory. She took lots of walks, learning little chunks at a time.

Memorizing the verses with dramatic inflections helped her learn faster. She goes over the book four or five times every day.

God’s promises that His word will not return void. Annette has struggled with depression for years. Recently, instead of dwelling on things that frustrate and discourage her, she forced her mind to think on better things. She saturated her mind with timeless truths and life-changing promises.

Things like James 1:17 -  Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. (NIV) 

Or 1:5 - If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. (NIV)

Annette’s depression hasn’t lifted but it’s better. Her heart has been touched, and by extension, so have ours. It did me a world of good to listen, I can only imagine what it did for her to memorize it. 

Click here to read about another woman who memorized James.

In closing, I'd like to share the song Ancient Words by Robin Mark


I'm linking up with Jennifer at Getting Down With Jesus,

11 comments:

  1. This reminds me to read the book of James again. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is amazing.
    Beautiful post, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! We are planning to do this study this fall...now I can hardly wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow..I just finished James with my ladies but didn't memorize it. I had all good intentions but..... I wish I had.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just fantastic, Angie. Please tell Annette how inspiring this is. I recently finished the James study, and put off the memorization part, for I time when I am "less busy." This is so convicting, but not in a way that makes me feel guilty. It makes me know how attainable it it to memorize huge chunks of Scripture. Last year, I memorized about half of Colossians, but then stopping in June. It took me half a year to memorize that half. And Annette did this in 2 1/2 weeks! Outstanding.

    I am linking this in my Soul Food sidebar, as well as sharing this one on Twitter. So, so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is truly amazing! I love how powerful the Word of God is. May we all seek to know it so well. As one who struggles with depression, it is helpful to focus on His truth rather than the lies our minds whisper to us. Great post, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this...I am in my mid 50’s and never have been able to memorize very well...but I am using the scripture-typer with Ann in memorizing matthew 5...I love how He transforms our heart...so thankful annette is feeling God’s healing ....Tell Annette she has inspired another mid lifer...blessings to you~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo to your friend Annette! Jennifer Lee sent me over here to be inspired because she knows I'm plodding along with James too. My little group did Beth's study at the beginning of the year and I've been memorizing two verses a week since. It really does keep my mind focused on good things, I agree. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post, but I was so sad to read that Annette's depression has not lifted. There is a lot of depression in my family, and that is a hard illness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How amazing. I wish you could record it and post it... so glad that God is working THROUGH her and IN her like this... what a beautiful thing!

    ReplyDelete