Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Book Review - All My Belongings by Cynthia Ruchti



I was supposed to post this book review earlier this summer, but it got lost in the shuffle of my daughter's wedding, our vacation, and numerous house projects. I apologize, Cynthia, for missing your May book release. 

I have had the privilege of meeting Cynthia Ruchti on two occasions and enjoyed getting to meet her. Two years ago she spoke at a local Christian women's event.  She radiates hope, graciousness, loyalty, encouragement, and seeing the best in people. I love her smile.

I'm fascinated how she takes an idea for a story and develops it. Her settings are all so different so I'm impressed with her ability to write about many different things. 

(Throughout this review, click on the orange, italicized book titles for links to learn more about those books.)  

All My Belongings opens after a judge and jury convict the main character's father of several counts of mercy killing. In the wake of painful publicity and shame, Jayne changes her name to Becca and moves to Southern California to begin a new life.

Becca provides live-in hospice care for an elderly woman dealing with dementia and end of life issues. Becca's unselfish care is a beautiful contrast to her father's way of dealing with disease and failing health. While caring for her patient, Becca looks for ways to keep things positive and hopeful.

All My Belongings explores the difficulties of caring for someone who is chronically ill or suffering from Alzheimer's or Dementia. It's emotionally draining to watch loved ones deteriorate.

Without giving away the satisfying ending, there’s a twist that bookends the beginning.

I loved Becca's emotional growth. She starts out bitter, negative, unsure, indecisive, self-focused, and close-lipped about personal details. She ends the book very other-centered, gracious, wise, selfless, positive.

I highly recommend this book, along with her three previous books:
(set in the Canadian Boundary waters)


When the Morning Glory Blooms (about unwed mothers)



Ragged Hope: Surviving the Fallout of Other People's Choices


I'm really looking forward to her next book, As Waters Gone By, due May 2015, as it is set on Madeline Island which is about 30 miles from where I live. 

http://www.christianbook.com/as-waters-gone-by/cynthia-ruchti/9781426787270/pd/787270?event=ESRCN

 To learn more about Cynthia and her books - visit cynthiaruchti.com

2 comments:

  1. Great review. Thank you for sharing.
    As Waters Gone By will be fun to read. Thank you again.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Carla! Love hearing from readers and future readers!

    ReplyDelete