Monday, April 27, 2009

That Little Voice


By Andrew

I thought it might happen sooner or later but I didn't really expect it for a few years yet, at least not until I was well into my 30's.

At the camp where I work, we are laying waterlines in a trench that was six feet deep and eight feet wide. I've had fun jumping with amazing skill and prowess across the trench and yelling "INDIANA JONES" at the same time.

Now this was all good and fun until the backhoe widened my trench to a good twelve feet across. Last Wednesday I bounded out of the Activity Center and started running toward the trench to jump it, when all of a sudden a little voice in my head said, "Hey, you have a sprained ankle. Maybe jumping the trench is not such a good idea."

I was shocked!!!

This was the first time in my life EVER that the safety mechanism kicked in. Before my brain used to say things like, "Yeah, you can make it", "It's only a short fall", or "The car is only moving 30 mph, no big deal." Now I actually have something in my head telling me it my not be safe.

Could I be growing up?

Well, I am not sure I would jump that gun completely yet, but I will have to say that I am a whole lot closer to living past 40 now that my brain actually tells me not to do dumb stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Andrew! A mother's voice only carries so far and then your own common sense needs to fill in the gaps.
    Have a great day!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete