Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Day I Hit a UPS Truck


Technically it hit me, but only because I was in the way. 

Last Saturday’s date brings back memories.

 











I’ll never forget April 7th thirteen years ago. We’d been struggling from a job and church change.  Keith’s new job paid less than the old one and Baby #7’s arrival had stretched our budget thin.

Our savings were depleted.

On Monday our accountant said we owed $500 in taxes.

On Tuesday the furnace died.

On Wednesday, April 7, 1999, I wanted to take the kids, then nine months to thirteen years, on a Planetarium field trip ninety miles away. 




When Keith said we couldn’t afford to go, the kids and I emptied piggy banks, redeemed pop cans, and scrounged up money for gas.

After a fun field trip, and a picnic in the park on a gorgeous spring day, we headed home.

We were blissfully minding our own business when a UPS truck crossed the intersection and crashed into the side of my van.

Everything happened fast. Squealing brakes. Smashed metal. Shattered glass. Children crying.

Lani’s carseat, baby and all, flew from the back row and landed sideways between the front seats. Landing sideways protected her from the broken glass that showered her carseat.

Kiah’s door took the brunt of the impact and she hit her head on the seat in front of her. Still clueless about what had just happened, I was thankful that everyone appeared to be okay.

The UPS driver sat in his truck in the middle of the road. Maybe it’s company accident policy or maybe he was mad, but it bothered me that he didn’t get out to see if we were okay.

Rescue personnel finally arrived. I was astonished to learn that I had run a stop sign. The accident was my fault!!

Kiah’s head injury concerned the ER doctor. Brain swelling on her CT scan necessitated an airlift to Sioux Falls.

I had a difficult choice.  Either go with Kiah and leave my six kids, including the baby, with total strangers at a hospital far from home. Or let Kiah, who might be seriously injured, fly without me and call someone to meet her at the hospital.

Since the other kids were okay and Kiah wasn’t, I went with her. Keith drove down to get the kids—1½  hours both ways.

After a twenty minute flight, Kiah checked into a Sioux Falls emergency room. Head injuries can deteriorate fast so they weren’t taking chances. After a few tests, they said we wouldn’t know much until the next day.

That night I laid on the hospital floor in the dark room besides Kiah’s bed and wallowed in misery. Talk about rock bottom.

No savings.
$500 tax bill.
Dead furnace
Wrecked van that collision insurance wouldn’t replace
Kiah’s possible head injury.
My first ever ticket. 
Embarrassment - Do you know anyone else who's collided with a UPS truck?

I wanted to sink through the floor. The future looked bleak. The accident and impact kept looping through my head. I finally drifted off to a fitful sleep.

April 8 - God’s Delivers, Not UPS

God met us in the deep hole I’d helped dig.  

The next day Kiah’s swelling subsided and she only had a concussion.

Our accountant said that he’d made a mistake and we didn’t owe any taxes.

Keith’s co-workers chipped in to buy us a new furnace. Keith’s boss, Dan, sold the furnace at cost.

Dan loaned us an old white station wagon until we could replace our van.

A friend gave us $2500 towards another van.

Dan called the local car dealership and said, “Keith needs a van.”
Rollie, the car salesman said, “A mini-van?”
Dan said, “Nah. You got anything bigger?”
Rollie said, “Funny you should ask, but something came in this morning. We’ve only had five big vans come in during all the years I’ve worked here.”
Dan said, “Can you cut him a deal?”

Rollie needed to cover his costs so sold us a big blue (my favorite color even) Ford eleven-seater passenger van for $2600. Our wrecked van only had eight seatbelts so whenever we traveled together, Andrew sat unbelted on the floor.  The “new” van even had room for friends.

Money trickled in. We received a $100 dollar check in the mail two days after the accident from a friend two states away. She apologized for not sending a gift for Lani’s birth and said to use the money however we wanted.

She hadn’t given our other children gifts, so why Lani? And why then? Lani’s birth was nine months before. The envelope was postmarked April 7, the day of the accident! Before we had a need, God was already moving to meet it.

The next day we found an anonymous envelope in the mailbox with $200. An anonymous donor left $200 for us at a nearby church.

I regretted insisting on the field trip. The whole mess would have been avoided if I’d only listened to my husband. I felt terrible about wrecking the van. I felt horrible that my mistake endangered my children. It could easily have been worse.

I don’t know why God allowed those bad things to happen if he was just going to turn around and fix everything. Seems like it would be easier to not let those things happen in the first place than to have to fix them afterwards. 

But if I hadn’t crashed and hit rock bottom, I would have missed the awesome experience of seeing God meet our needs.  How could I properly appreciate the provision if I didn’t have a need?

God doesn’t always meet needs in such a spectacular fashion but this time He did. We encountered hard times but He carried us through. 



To this day, when we pass a UPS truck on the road, I’ll say, “Aaahhhh!!!” in a loud wobbly voice.  Though they know the story, my youngest three daughters don’t remember the accident.

But I do.

And I’ll never forget the time I learned the hard way about Jehovah-Jireh, My Provider. 

And my God shall supply all your need 
according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
--Philippians 4:19--

I'm linking up today with Jennifer at Getting Down With Jesus

 

13 comments:

  1. I have stories like that. I suppose we all do. Well, they did make a movie of one of my favorites" It's a Wonderful Life.

    God came through. Despite us, He shows up and showers us with love. He is so awesome. Never late either. Sometimes he seems a little late, but in hindsight we see he wasn't. Sometimes He seems a little mean too. But then we see how gracious and merciful he is.

    My prayers lately include something that sums it all up. I end with 'God, have mercy on me.' I sure need it. Thanks for the testimony and the smirk. (Not laugh. I promise!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow wow wow wow wow! That was an awesome story! Thank you for being so vulnerable to tell us your lows.

    and my God will supply all of your needs according to HIS RICHES in glory in Christ Jesus

    His RICHES!

    Blessings to you!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angie,
    What a powerful story of an utterly earthbound moment when God supernaturally came through and brought heaven's resources to your rescue. So thankful you were all okay in the end!

    I wrote you a glowing comment at about 4:00 this morning (being a night owl like you), and then something went awry with my Google profile and the comment vanished. Anyway, so I'm back to try again. =)

    I stopped by for the first time (from Jennifer's God-Bumps), but despite this being new to me, every post felt familiar! There are some very common threads running through our lives! I have lived in many of the places you've lived--born in Le Mars, Iowa, not far from George, lived for two summers in Greeley, Colorado, and have lived for the last 31 years in Northern California (5 years in San Jose--2 of which attending Bible college; 26 years in various cities in the East SF Bay Area). I have pictures of my family in some of the same places you have pictures of yours! I married a man with a degree in Ministerial Studies (although he has never pastored a church, he pastors people all the time). My Hero Husband (as I call him on my blog) and I have similar mismatches to those you describe between you and your husband. Like you, when we chose each other it was with the decision that there were no other options but to work things out, whatever may come.

    Anyway, this will not be my last visit--your blog and your family are delightful!

    In His Grip,
    Shaunie
    http://upthesunbeam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Angie! That was a good reminder, God is always working.
    Thanks - Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story of God's provision...and a great story to hand down to your children.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That's a God-incidence and God-bump all wrapped up in one incredible story. Praising God from whom all blessings flow ... It's a joy to have your story shared in community. I'm also going to share it in my sidebar of featured links.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard this one before, but am always amazed at God's provision in our time of need...even when we helped create the need~however unintentional...He truly does work all things together for good to those who love Him and are called according to His purposes.
    Keep up the God work, angie.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am reminded of the verse "All things (good or bad) work together for good to them who love God." Our God is the God of miracles even when we manipulate to have a nice field trip - - down the road God used this to provide you with a new furnace and a better van.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angie,

    im so glad you came by my place so i could come meet you! i thoroughly enjoyed this story--such a redemptive story--a reminder of God's goodness--*all* i can think about, friend, is that precious baby, being thrown in between your seat and stuck there, completely safe from harm. and all children living. oh, how He watches over us, and how angels guide us when we dont even know it. thanking God, a little teary-eyed, with you for your happy ending. blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful story, I have chill bumps. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Utterly amazing how He works in those "small" details! Thankful for protection and provision for your family!

    ReplyDelete