Monday, April 16, 2012

Aged Regret

Certain songs yank me back. 

Singing “Just a Closer Walk” in church recently took me back to Mt. Gilead Bible camp when I was fourteen, young, and stupid.

We’d had a bumpy week. By we, I mean Dana, the queen bee, and me and four friends, her loyal entourage.

Dana was pretty, thin, and funny. If she considered something funny, we did too. If she thought something was gross, we did too. Her suggestions always seemed like a good idea. She was comfortable leading and we were comfortable following.

My family moved alot. Being shy and insecure, I hated starting new schools every couple years. After living in the area a year I was elated to have friends to call my own. I finally felt like I fit in.

We didn’t like our camp counselor and rudely named her “The Hag.” Everyone else had college students for counselors. We had someone’s mother. Good grief. What could she possibly know about teenage girls?

We avoided our counselor and resisted her overtures. We rolled our eyes and giggled and whispered through devotions. We made snide remarks and dragged our feet.  

We griped about her to whoever would listen. One night we complained to a girl in the bathroom. Tight-lipped, she snapped, “That’s my mother,” and walked out the door.

Our rustic tent cabins had wood floors and half walls topped with a canvas cover. We rolled the sides up during the day for light and fresh air, and down at night for privacy and warmth. 

Not my cabin, but the closest I could find on Google Images
We got the bright idea to take the tarp off our cabin. Immensely pleased with our daring and creativity, we hid the evidence and ran off to join the afternoon camp activities.

The powers-that-be were not amused. The camp director sternly chewed us out. Seems it’s not easy to put tarps on cabins, especially in the blistering California summer afternoon heat. Since the maintenance men had to do it for us, our punishment was to help the maintenance men.

We shoveled wood chips in the heat of the day, repeatedly filling a wheelbarrow from a wood chip pile and spreading them on an outdoor volleyball court.

Two hours later we were hot, tired, and SORRY.  Finally heeding our consciences and sobered by the fear of our parents finding out, Dana decided we were wrong. She decided “The Hag” wasn’t so bad after all and said we hadn’t treated Judy (her real name) right.

We apologized to Judy. Dana suggested we sing a special number during chapel to show that we had truly repented. She played the guitar and we sang “Just a Closer Walk With Thee” in front of the whole camp.

I was sorry then but I’m even sorrier now.

I’m sorry that I didn’t understand adolescent insecurity. I had no idea other teens felt as awkward and unsure as I did.  

I’m sorry that I yielded to peer pressure. On my own I would never have damaged the cabin. I wouldn’t have disliked Judy or been rude and uncooperative. I also would not have sung in front of people. But in wanting to fit in, I did things I didn’t normally do.

I don’t blame Dana. She didn’t make me follow. I had a mind of my own. I chose to be influenced. I had willingly contributed to our fiasco and I had just as willingly repented. But true repentance is personal, not something decreed by your leader.

I’m sorry there’s no way as an adult to apologize to Judy. I counseled for four years and had my share of uncooperative campers. As a parent, I’ve dealt with uncooperative children. I’ve been paid back. I’ve walked in her shoes and I forever regret giving her a hard time.

I’m sorry that I didn’t understand shame. For years I couldn’t look the camp director in the face because I assumed he thought me rebellious and immature. I couldn't fathom that when we asked him to forgive us, he did. 

I’m sorry that I didn’t learn my lesson. Though I repented in this incident, the war for my teenage soul had not been won yet. I succumbed to peer pressure on other occasions. I tested the waters, sliding in tiny increments, and hung over the line pretty far before digging my heels in and finally making a stand.

Just like my friends influenced me to help take the tarp off, I let myself be swayed many times by friends, classmates, books, music, and movies. I threw off that which was designed to shelter and protect me. I questioned and rejected God’s control of my life.  The casting off of things I knew to be right led to pain and life-long regret.

I toyed with doing good things and I toyed with doing bad things. I waffled for five years before deciding at age nineteen that my faith was my own, not my parent’s, not some Queen Bee’s, not my Sunday School teachers, and I wanted to live for God and do the right things.
Every time I hear “Just a Closer Walk” it all floods back. Shame. Regret. Remorse.  

God forgave me at fourteen and every year since. He does not see me as young and immature. He sees me as beautiful and beloved. He forgave all my sins, even the young stupid ones, so I don’t need to decades later feel pangs of regret every time I hear that song.

Because the song is just as true today as it was then.

I am weak, but Thou art strong;
Jesus, keep me from all wrong;
I’ll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee.

Thirty-eight years later I’m still learning to walk close to Thee.

Let it be, dear Lord, let it be. 

I'm linking up with Shanda at A Pause on the Path for On Your Heart Tuesday,
Kasey at These Five of Mine Plus Two for A Handful of Heart

and Jennifer at Getting Down With Jesus
 

14 comments:

  1. Oh My! I love this. That is one of my favorite old songs too. When I think about it, the same mistakes now are the ones i made as a teen. Thankfully God keeps working on us, in us, and shows us grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie,You probably dont remember me but I think we took drivers ed together long ago in Sebastopol. I've really been enjoying your blog since I ran across it. Just had to say I went to Mt. Gilead every year with the Sebastopol Methodist church. This brought back fun memories.Mary Coleman Powell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary,
      I don't remember taking drivers ed with you but I do remember you. Wow - that's a long time ago. Thanks for getting in touch with me. Are you on Facebook? I've connected with a few people from Analy there. Once I got past this bad week I wrote about, I loved Mt. Gilead. Funny that we both went there but on different weeks so never saw each other there. Hope you're doing well.
      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Once again, you shine with your storytelling. And redemption is right at the center of it.

    I think we all did a bone-headed thing or two (or fifty) like that as a kid. And yes, I've succumbed to peer pressure, even as an adult. Praying that I will take a closer walk with Him, even now... Especially now.

    LOVED this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Angie. This is a sweet story that shows how "small" sins can convict as effectively as "big" ones and how the sting of regret is common to us all. Thank you.
    Visiting from God Bumps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie,
    I loved your post. So honest and tells a story about me too. I succumbed to peer pressure as a teen and as an adult. I pray to walk close to Jesus and that He Lead Me! I know I can not do it alone.
    Great Post! Thank You so much - Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so beautiful to look back and see how far He has brought us. Isn't it? Thank you for reminding me about that sweet hymn. I am humming it in my heart today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is easy to be a follower instead of standing up for what YOU believe. Through it all, no need to feel remorse, just know that God does not condemn you and your thoughts that are condemnation come from you know who!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhh wow,
    This is a sweet story that shows how to hearing the songs, which song you hear in what time. Nice storry that you have told us dear author. I like it & i loved it very much. I will appreciate with your mindblowing effort.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Angie, you are harder on yourself than most people. Many people would look back on their years of youthful defiance as a normal part of growth, and put it in psychological terms. I like that you put it into a spiritual frame, because that's how we need to be thinking about life. I have adolescent moments even now. Times when I foolishly think I'm the one who knows what to do with this life I've been given. Then God reminds me to slow down and let Him lead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great story. Love this! It should be in a devotional book or something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my, I'm right there at camp with you. And feeling the pain and shame of my own misguided camp adventures. So glad God loves us anyway! Your family is beautiful. I'm so thrilled to have "met you" here today. Thanks for dropping by the Overflow earlier. Blessings to you and your dear ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This brought back memories of my own! Beautiful post!!

    ReplyDelete