Monday, October 8, 2012

Pride Goes Before a Fall

Or alternately titled:   
Why I Love Fall But Not Falling

One never knows when their mother will fall flat on her face.

Last Sunday, gorgeous weather and Autumn-colored trees lured us outside. I took four girls and Tucker (our dog) hiking at St. Peter’s Dome. I love doing things I love with people I love.

The overflowing parking lot meant others had the same bright idea. I hoped the top of the trail wouldn’t be congested. We like to sit quietly up there and drink in the awesome view. Tucker would probably put a kink in our mountaintop cogitations. Taking a number might further dilute the experience.

Ruth (Christina’s friend) took off running. I cannot fathom running a hike. Running is for track meets and pottytraining toddlers, not for trails that start out wide and easy and gradually get narrow and difficult. I assumed she’d run the easy part and walk the hard part. (Turns out she ran the whole way, doubled back to meet Kiah and Anna, then walked back up again.)

Kiah, Anna, and Tucker took off at a brisk pace. Christina walked with me.  

I love the forest. Fresh air. The soft, sweet scent of pine. Creek sounds. Crackling leaves. Gnarled roots. Wildflowers. The contrast of blue sky and autumn leaves.

I always struggle the second mile and wonder if it’s worth it. I’m thankful to be twenty pounds lighter than my last hike there. Last year, my elbows, hips, and knees hurt. This year they don’t.  

The North Country (hiking/backpacking) Trail goes through this forest. I can’t imagine navigating those narrow, twisting trails, stones, roots, and drop-offs with a backpack on.

After carefully picking my way through an extended maze of black tree roots and fording a shallow creek, I commented to Christina, “Too bad the forest service doesn’t put boardwalk through these hard parts. They’re inaccessible for many people.”

We reached the top, and yes, it’s definitely worth it. The view is always amazing, but even more so with fall colors. More people than normal sat at the top but everyone except Tucker understood that this was a quiet spot.

Kiah said she was proud of me. “You’re in good shape and you’re holding up well. I’m glad you came.”

I swelled with pride. Yes, hiking felt good. Yes, I was holding up. Yes, I went with the girls, unlike their Dad who stayed home to watch football.

On the way down, Ruth ran off again. Kiah and Anna went ahead and Christina hung back. I told her she didn’t need to wait for me.

“I’m staying with you,” she said firmly. “I want to make sure you’re okay.”

Hmmpf!! That didn’t sit well. For twenty-seven years I had looked out for them. Since when had things switched and now I needed to be looked out for?

Five minutes later,after walking two miles up and one mile back, and being uber careful through the obviously tricky parts, on an easy downhill incline, I tripped over a small protruding rock and smashed hard into the ground.

IT HURT!!! I could hardly breathe. For once, I didn’t care if anyone saw me fall. Pain overruled other thoughts, and I desperately hoped nothing had broken.

Christina yelled down the trail, “Kiah! Get back here now!”

Christina knelt beside me. “Don’t move until I check everything.” she commanded. First born, second-year nursing students are like that.

My left knee hurt the worse. At first I couldn’t move my knee or think around the pain. I had also smashed my right hand trying to brace myself.

Kiah and Anna ran back, alarmed to see their mother crumpled on the trail, lying on her side, with her head pointing downhill. Approaching hikers stopped to help.

The group helped me get up, and though it hurt something fierce, I could walk. Christina found me a walking stick and I limped the last mile. All three girls stayed close by. Christina said, “See, Mom. This is why I wanted to keep an eye on you. I’m also thinking we need to carry a first-aid kit on future hikes.”

Kiah drove home and I limped into the house and collapsed on the couch. My knee had swollen and I had a headache. I took a bath and Ibuprofen. My knee could barely bend and I needed help getting dressed and upstairs.

I spent Monday in bed with a headache and all-over soreness. I limped until Friday and each day feels a little better, though it’s still hard doing stairs and getting in and out of cars.   

Definitely a humbling experience. To go, in a matter of seconds, from the exhilaration of fall hiking and being outdoors to smashed knee, road rash, and lying in the dirt. To make it through the hard part, only to fall in an easy part. To be annoyed at Christina for watching out for me, then to need her help this week.

I’m thankful I didn’t fall on the way up because we would have turned back and missed the view. I’m thankful Christina was nearby. She’s gifted with the ability to take charge in emergencies and quickly assess what needs done. I’m thankful I didn’t need to be carried that last mile. I’m thankful my family took good care of me this week.

I fractured my left knee years ago, so I’m glad I didn’t mess up my good right knee. I’m thankful my kids are old enough to fend for themselves, so I could convalesce without our house falling apart.

I’m thankful I got hurt doing something fun. I could have tripped in the grocery store.  Or taking out garbage, or mowing the lawn. At least I got hurt doing something I enjoy.

I’m bummed to miss the rest of fall hiking. The girls went hiking again today and I took a nap. Last week I felt fifty, this week I feel sixty.

I’ll just need to be more careful from now on. Even if it means wearing bubble wrap to hike, I’m hoping there are many more fall-free hikes in my future.

10 comments:

  1. What a blessing that you've raised children who have your back! I hope you continue to heal and enjoy lovely Fall hikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going downhill is always the hardest part! I'm so glad you didn't break anything. I know from slipping on ice those wrists really suffer when we try to catch ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! YOu always tell a good tale...even when it's on yourself. So sorry you fell and are hurting. Glad Christina stayed nearby to help. Thankful you didn't fall in a grocery store because you could have taken moutains of groceries down with you or at church where all the witnesses are also church members (aka people you know)!
    Keep up the God work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you do have a great way of telling a story!
    I will be praying you get well fast. We need you ready to ski with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you survived the fall and the embarrasing moments. :-) Sounds like you have a great family. Hope you recuperate quickly and can get back out for another fall(no pun intended) hike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My my... what a story!

    Glad you are feeling better.

    Blessings,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that stinks! I'm so glad to hear you are mending. We always appreciate our health when we don't have it, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my! What an experience!! Can you at least laugh about it now? I think there's a definite analogy for life there. Just when you think you're going great, something knocks you down. But, God is always there to get us back on our feet! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Angie, I hope you're feeling better every day. That was a great story, full of imagery and it reminded me how much I love to hike (without a backpack). It took over one year for me to heal from a bike accident I had while riding on our street with Elliot. I pulled or tore a muscle in my neck and had an impinged shoulder. Sometimes I still have to be careful, no activity that requires looking down or up for too long. Sending healing thoughts and prayers to you. I'm so glad it won't stop you from hiking.

    ReplyDelete