Thursday, December 31, 2009

Powerful Pain Reliever

I went to bed last night, hoping a good night’s sleep would make my headache go away. I gauged how bad it was. Not splitting or throbbing. More like a dull cloud.

I snuggled into my warm, cozy bed and willed the headache to leave. I tried talking myself into getting up and walking through a cold house to the downstairs bathroom for Tylenol, but didn’t want to leave my warm cocoon.

I tossed and turned and dozed in and out. I stared at the ceiling, wondering why I didn’t just get up and take care of it.

I got up this morning, headache still intact. I hoped moving around would help. Perhaps breakfast would make it subside. Not so.

Finally, after two hours, I took Tylenol.

And my headache went away.

Why didn’t I take Tylenol before bed last night? During the night? This morning? Why did I wait so long to seek relief? Since the pain wasn’t to crisis mode, I was willing to live with it. I hoped it would go away on its own. I hoped the situation would resolve itself.

I often do the same thing with God when I have a problem. I continue to carry it around when I don’t need to, hoping it will leave on its own. I hope the situation will resolve itself. And finally, when I’m tired of the pain, I go to the Pain Reliever.

Since He is the only one who can make things better, why do I wait so long to go?

I think of the many, many times God has taken care of my problems. He is so good and I am so slow to learn. May I someday learn to trust Him sooner.  

“When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Thy consolations delight my soul.” –Ps. 94:19--

5 comments:

  1. You are a pill. LOL! Seriously, thanks for the reminder. We all need it at times. I even have a verse for you. "a cheerful heart is good medicine."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. We all do this sometimes I think. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, the Pain Reliever!!

    Good stuff.

    Love,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what an awesome post! You're absolutely right!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL!

    Funny how we do this to ourselves, yeah?!?!

    Glad you are feeling better!!

    Happy New Year Angie!

    ReplyDelete