Saturday, February 27, 2010

Embracing Winter

I apologize for the recent rash of winter posts, but my attitude towards winter is gradually changing.

Two winters ago Keith got a wild hare (hair?) and took us to Colorado for New Year's weekend. I love Colorado but we normally go in summer. For years he's wanted to go to the big hot pool in Glenwood Springs when there's snow on the ground
.
Hmm. I had my doubts.

So we drove in icky weather to get to Colorado, then double icky weather to get up in the mountains, had to stay an extra day because a snowstorm closed the interstate,

and as we're sitting with frozen hair in a steaming hot pool with outside temps in the single digits,

watching lifeguards waddle around in snowpants and parkas, I thought, "You know, this isn't so bad." Sort of felt like we had cheated winter somehow.

Last year Keith signed the girls up for 9 weeks of ski lessons.

So this former California girl, who rarely saw temps less than 40, noticed that Wisconsinites don't sit around complaining about weather.

They embrace it.
All five months of it.

So far the girls have tried:

Dog Sleds


Snowmobiles
Downhill Skiing



Cross Country Skiing
Ice Skating
Hockey


Sleigh Rides
Sledding



We still need to try:
Ice Fishing
Snowshoeing
Winter Camping
Ice Races
Ice Road
Ice Caves


Goodness, winter isn't long enough.

So build a snowman, grab a sled, and embrace what's left of winter.

4 comments:

  1. I am a wimp when it comes to temps lower than 60! (Wow you all have had great experiences with winter activities...hm...that may be the key...stay active and you stay warm...)
    That hot water spring sounds absolutely lovely! Up at my parent's home in northern Wisconsin (Eagle River, Wisconsin...aka "Snowmobile Capital"), ( although shortly after my dad retired from the Air Force and moving there, I married and moved away), I have had wonderful winter visits with my hubby and kids.
    We have enjoyed the cross country skiing, snowmobiling, ice fishing, and sledding.

    Blessings & Aloha!
    (thankyou so much for stopping by, for your sweet comment and advice on getting rid of the silly spaces! Actually, several times (thinking "hm...maybe this time it will do it" haha), I have tried that and deleted the "spaces" in my html, but when I go to publish and take a peek...they are still there.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been enjoying your posts. We are central Wisconsinites so I can relate to you on the weather side of things. You absolutely have to try the snowshoeing. It's a wonderful sport for the whole family and we would be lost without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put pictures up of OUR Lake with you in mind. (See my post on Lake Michigan)
    Good for you enjoying winter. Good attitudes are contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great info, i glad to see this blog, such an informative article, Thanks for share this.

    ReplyDelete