Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Catan Cookies

Our kids go in spurts with games. 2010 saw countless Dutch Blitz games. 2011's game of choice was Ticket to Ride. 

So far in 2012, catching the wave a few years late, we've played lots of Settlers of Catan. Learning to play Settlers is confusing.  (At least it was for me.) Be prepared to be confused your first game. Then a light bulb goes off and you're addicted.

We celebrated Keith's birthday tonight and for dessert I made (I'm so proud) Catan Cookies



I found ideas on Pinterest and went from there. This picture only makes sense if you're familiar with the game. It is the cookie version of the game board. The game has 19 hexagon tiles - 3 brick, 3 ore, 4 lumber, 4 sheep, and 4 wheat. It also has 18 numbered small round disks.




First we made sugar cookie dough. Then I cut a hexagon out of a sheet of plastic from my scrapbook stuff. I laid that on the rolled dough (about 3/8 inch thick) and cut around it. 

We made four different colors of frosting - red, green, yellow, and white. The girls had a ball decorating cookies. 

The ore cookies (the black tiles in the above pictures) were eaten first so no individual picture. We frosted them white and sprinkled crumbled Oreo Knock-off cookies on top. 

For the lumber tiles we set a Christmas tree cookie cutter on top the cookie and carefully shook green sprinkles into it. I saw a picture on Pinterest where someone put pretzel sticks on lumber cookies to look like wood. 



The sheep tile is pretty self-explanatory - tinted green coconut. I had planned to stick yogurt covered raisin "sheep" in the "pasture" but forgot to buy them.


Anna had a hard time getting a brick color. I think she added a little green to the red to get this shade. 


Wheat tiles were the easiest. 



On second thought, the desert tile was pretty easy too. The girls swirled yellow and brick for a marbled look. This tile looked much better before someone set another cookie on top of it.




We used Rainbow twizzlers for roads and gum drops for settlements and only placed the first two settlements and roads for four colors. The robber was made of two stacked gum drops. The number disks were too small to put probability dots on them.




My only complaint is it took us two hours to make something that only took five minutes to eat.

1 comment:

  1. Those are so neat! The game sounds interesting too. I feel your pain, standing at the kitchen counter when you are working hard....a labor of love that disappears in an instant. I also know that I'd rather be creating something with my children than almost anything. The bonding and closeness that comes out of a shared activity is something I value so much.

    ReplyDelete