Friday, January 25, 2013

Great Expectations

My son Andrew's latest Facebook post.


It was his way of announcing that his wife Rachel is pregnant. The envelope contained a invitation to his best friend's wedding. Andrew labeled the picture - "Thanks Luke and Megan for inviting our WHOLE family.

Facebook comments flew fast and furious. 90 comments so far. Facebook makes revealing juicy tidbits super easy. My first five pregnancies were pre-Internet days so news traveled a bit slower.

I'm so relieved this is out in the open. It was not an easy secret to keep. Andrew called a week before Christmas and said, "Hello Grandma Vik."

Andrew loves to joke and I didn't want to get my hopes up so I asked what he meant.

Turns out he wasn't joking. Lord willing, next July Keith and I will be grandparents. My grandmother biological clock has been ticking. I tried not to make any "hinting for grandchildren comments" around Andrew and Rachel because that would be annoying and I don't like to deliberately annoy people. (Just ask my husband who is trying to sleep while I blog in bed. If the light (dimmed of course) doesn't bug him, the pecking movements from my typing will.)

We were sworn to secrecy for a few weeks. I flunked secret keeping the very next day. It was the best news ever and I told two close friends and asked them not to tell anyone. We live six hours away from Andrew. What harm could it do?

The next day, I mentioned to another friend. "If you were to guess my secret, would you keep it a secret? I can't tell you, but if you guess, I'll say if you're right or wrong." My daughters had a fit so I didn't tell anyone after that. I only told three people. Keith told six. Normally we're better secret keepers but this news didn't want to stay bottled up.

My daughters are thrilled. They love babies. This poor child will be the first grandchild on both sides AND will have six aunts.

Lots of smiles at our house over this news with a few happy dances thrown in.

"Grandma Vik." I like the sound of that.

A lot.

9 comments:

  1. Dear Angie, THAT is so exciting!!!!! I'm so happy for all of you and look forward to more of the story. I'm also sending up prayers for a healthy momma and baby too. God bless you! Sending a big hug your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to be an awesome Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful!! I am so excited for you.
    Remember, anytime you are heading down to visit your son .... you are welcome to stop in for a meal or spend the night.

    We are excited to come visit in a few weeks. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my - what WONDERFUL news! I can only imagine the wild catfighting to ensue for a chance at holding the precious new one! :)

    CONGRATS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How Fun for "First Grandchild" so much love, affection, gifts, and such. It is a special position to hold in the family structure! So happy for you...and of course, Andrew and Rachel.
    Happy GRandparenting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't read your blog in awhile...this is happy news!! It's gonna be GRAND!

    ReplyDelete