Monday, October 12, 2009

Not Me Monday


I had not planned to do a Not Me Monday post today so didn’t change my mind and stop to write one, just because MckMama is giving away a neat prize. You can check out My Charming Kids to see the prize and other Not Me posts.

I did not put up a stink this weekend about going to a conference with my husband. I love to travel so jumped at the opportunity to drive six hours for a one day conference and the chance to be around total strangers with not enough time to get to know anyone.

I am totally comfortable leaving my four daughters at home under the supervision of our 17-year-old. So on Saturday when she threw a Rubik’s cube at Anna, I did not think, “That’s it, I’m not going.” I’m sure that there was a good reason for her throwing the cube so there’s nothing for me to worry about.

I didn’t ask people to check on the girls while we’re gone because there is nothing to worry about. They’ll be fine. Really.

I did not leave them a typed list with detailed instructions and emergency phone numbers just in case. Because they’ll be fine.


So I did not stop on our way to the Wisconsin Dells at the first Taco Bell we saw for a chicken burrito, even though we’d had lunch only two hours before. I only eat healthy food and don’t care for fast food so wouldn’t make an exception for Taco Bell, just because I like their bean burritos.

We did not drive all over the Wisconsin Dells to see what eating places were available and then end up back at the restaurant next to our hotel.

I did not drink three glasses of root beer. I lecture my children all the time on the evils of carbonated beverages so wouldn’t have a blind spot when it comes to root beer. We all know pop is bad for teeth, bones, and waistlines.

I didn’t call the girls the first chance I got to make sure they’re okay. Why wouldn’t they be? They’re good kids.

I didn’t look around the meeting and see that only one fifth of the men had brought wives and think that I could have stayed home and avoided the whole uptight Mom leaving the kids at home routine.

I have not tried figuring out what is a reasonable amount of time to wait before calling again to make sure the girls are all right. They’re fine. I’m sure of it.

Maybe next year we can bring the girls.

8 comments:

  1. You are a riot! So, was the house in one piece? Any problems? Will Keith's sermon be entitled "Be anxious for nothing", with examples of his own wife? Will he further enhance the delivery with pictures of you satisfying the lustful cravings at various unnamed restaurants en route? (Aren't you glad he doesn't have a blog?).lol!

    I would feel the same...strange enough. Our elder children seemed a tad bit more responsible than our current older ones. I don't really expect as much from this set, and they do work a lot. Krista was always the best; like a second mother. I think you call Christina that too. Holly may fill her shoes one day, but for now, lots of boys with lots of energy and manly "bonding" going on here, and then little ones to watch! Take care and welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me cracking up!! FYI, i woudl have totally not stopped for Taco Bell too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would totally NOT check on my kids every 5 minutes either!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Dells! Did you get to do any of the touristy stuff while you were there? You rode the Ducks, didn't you? Please tell me you rode the Ducks! Hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. And here I thought Keith might have whisked you away for a romantic belated 50th birthday surprise:) Silly me, I should have known it was work.

    I'm guessing the kids did fine. They always seem to rise to the occasion...Honestly, it would have taken me two days before I called the kids...I figure they'll call if they need anything (they all have cell phones and know how to use them).

    Hope you had a great time in the Dells...I was mildly jealous when Keith told me where you were, but not so much now that I know it was a conference.

    Miss you too. No, there's no way I can get away right now, but we're hoping to come up at Chistmas---don't mark it in stone, but that is the plan for now.

    Keep up the God work.
    Sorry this is so long:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. If i werent in AK & lived in WI i would have told you that I would come over & hang with the girls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lauren. You're the best. The girls would have so much fun with you that they wouldn't want us to come home. So if a handsome Alaskan doesn't sweep you off your feet and you come back to live in these parts, maybe next year we'll take you up on the offer.

    ReplyDelete