Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Blog Hop - Favorite Book


If you're blog hopping today, welcome to my blog. If you're a regular I'm participating in McLinky's Blog Hop. This week's assignment is to share a favorite book. As a lifelong bookworm, that's an assignment I like. It's hard to pick a favorite, but I'm going with Surrender Bay by Denise Hunter.

I read a lot of Christian fiction. When I worked at a library back in Iowa, I got to help order books for our Christian fiction section. I chose this book for the library, was the first to read it, and loved every minute of it. I've read Surrender Bay three times so far.

I love this book because it is on one level a well-written love story and on another level an allegory of God's unconditional love for us.

When I first read the story, I thought it odd that a Christian fiction novel did not mention God. Denise Hunter usually has good spiritual content in her books. Then I read the author's note in back about it being an allegory. So then it was fun to go back and reread with that in mind.

A non-christian could read this as it's not overtly religious. There is a little gritty stuff which makes it realistic. Nothing graphic, but it's not a Lori Wick novel.

This is an excerpt from the author's website:Surrender Bay
A Nantucket Love Story
October 2007
From Thomas Nelson
On the beautiful island of Nantucket, salt and roses scent the air, waves sparkle over hidden currents, and a storm-tossed soul seeks safe harbor.
When Samantha Owen's estranged stepfather dies, she inherits his cottage in Nantucket--a place she left years ago, never planning to return. As a single mom, Sam can't afford to pass up on a financial windfall like ocean-front property. So she travels home to fix up the house and sell it . . . never suspecting that Landon Reed still lives two doors down. As their long-dormant romance begins to bud again, Sam must face the fact that Landon still doesn't know why she left the island. Will the secrets she's hidden all these years tear them apart . . . or is Landon's love really as unconditional as he claims?
Surrender Bay is the first book in the Nantucket Love Story Series. Each book in the series is a stand alone. The other two books are A Convenient Groom and Seaside Letters. I've read A Convenient Groom and liked it, but not as much as Surrender Bay. Seaside Letters just came out and I'm hoping to get it on interlibrary loan. Until then, maybe I'll reread Surrender Bay again.
MckLinky Blog Hop

7 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good book to unwind with at the end of the day. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, here is mine. When I was a little girl my father would sit on the couch with me in his lap and read two books to me, one was Where the Wild Things Are. Between these two books I learned how to read and how to face life. Between these pages and my dad's voice is my childhood.


    The other book that was read to me and brings back memories is The Frog and the Toad. This book also keeps my mind and memories alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love Christian fiction and have a ton of it. I have not heard of this one though. I will have to see if I can find it. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you read it 3 times, it must be good! Have you ever read any of Napoleon Hill's books? A woman once wrote him, asking why he didn't mention Jesus in any of his books. Napoleon said "Madam, if you read between the lines, you will find Jesus. You must read it in the spirit it was written in." True that! I would get stirred in my spirit big time, but he never mentioned Jesus...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your comment on my blog and came over to check you out. Oddly enough, Surrender Bay is one of the books I have stacked on the coffee table ready to head out of town on Friday. I love Denise Hunter and can't wait to dive into this one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read one of Denise Hunters books but not that one. I have it on my to read pile.

    I couldn't just pick one book, so my are listed on my Barb's Blog.

    ReplyDelete