Wednesday, June 20, 2012

One Problem; Three Moms; Three Solutions

Hi~So glad to still be here at Messy Cars and Muddy Shoes guest blogging for Angie while she's in Oregon visiting her parents. Please visit me sometime at Life, Love, and Laughter in a Large Family so I can get to know you as well.

I found this blog post in my files from 2009. I wanted to include this during my guest blogging stint since Angie is a part of this post. Thanks again, Angie, for giving me this opportunity!

At a recent picnic, I talked with a group of moms. We asked our friend who'd adopted a little girl from Ethiopia four months ago how things were going. She and her husband already had five children, and we asked how their own youngest son was handling not being the baby any more?

She replied that the transition had been a bit difficult as he had been the baby for six years before his 2-year-old sister came along. One thing that would change was the way their family divvied up leftovers. If only one hot dog remained, the youngest would get it. That was their family policy. Why? Because he was the littlest.

I found this concept interesting. In our family, if only one hot dog remains, the oldest gets first dibs. I believe those with the most responsibility get the most privileges...one of those being first choice of leftovers. I also know that the older kids will one day be out of the house and the baby will have her choice of everything at some point:)

Angie had yet another solution. If there is one thing left, she divides it among all those who want it. She divides the hot dog into six or seven pieces ...bites ...bits for all those who want a share. In this way, everyone gets a taste of the last hot dog.

All three moms have large families and all three of us parent quite differently as evidenced from something as simple as handing out leftovers. Variety is truly the spice of life. I often think my way is best, but then I hear how others deal with a situation and think to myself, "That works, too."

Which led me to think of a fourth way to take care of the one remaining hot dog...Just eat it myself.

I would love to hear your family's solution to the last remaining hot dog. Leave me a comment and tell me how things work in your family.

Just another reason to live, love, and laugh,

3 comments:

  1. Too funny! We've done all of those! Usually it's the divide it up between 16 people one! Whatever it takes, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I like your last idea. If I hear too much whine...I go ahead and eat it myself.
    Usually we do it Angie's way.
    Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of eating it myself! I generally divide my leftovers among anyone who wants it, but I only have too kids. It's always interesting to see how moms solve problems
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete