Thursday, July 19, 2012

Not Your Average Sightseeing Tour


Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

On our recent vacation, Amy, Lani, and I toured the headquarters of Compassion International in Colorado Springs.  Our church sponsors a Compassion child so we wanted to learn more about their organization. 

My girls know we think sponsorship is important but it doesn't really touch their lives in tangible ways. Short of going to our sponsored child's country, I wanted to flesh it out for them more. I wanted to put faces with the need and elevate their understanding and compassion for people in need. 



They have a nice facility and we enjoyed the tour.  It was a peaceful, vibrant place. Our tour guide spoke with passion and conviction. She personally sponsors five children and has been to visit all of them.


I was moved to tears a few times during the presentation. The tour guide described Compassion's four main programs and then focused mainly on the child sponsorship process. 

Upstairs in the lobby


Lobby display


Replica of a typical poor person's home.
 
This 9 x 8 space typically houses up to eight people.  This hits home as eight people live in our house, which is a mansion compared to this hut. Compassion provides mosquito netting to help reduce insect-caused diseases.


Items made by Compassion-sponsored children.

Amy is holding a bracelet made out of animal claws and a doll made out of crocheted plastic grocery bags. Lani has a ball made out of rolled garbage bags and a sandal made from an old tire. 



Replica of a typical Compassion school



Classroom Health Center
(note toothbrushes hanging on the left wall)


Project Director's Office
He keeps a binder on each child with medical, 
educational, and developmental records.


Director's detailed financial records. 
They are accountable to Compassion.


If you're ever in Colorado Springs I highly recommend this tour. We came away with a new appreciation for their ministry. We learned so much and left convicted and challenged to figure out ways to be more involved. 

My children have never missed a meal and are blessed to live healthy lives. My heart breaks for little children who don't have the things we take for granted. The need is so huge that it feels like our small contribution can't make much difference, but I am reminded that if I am faithful to do my part, I am making a big difference in one child's life.

If you're interested in learning more, check out compassion.com. Their website has a lot of helpful and inspiring information. 

I'm linking up with Jennifer at Getting Down With Jesus.

3 comments:

  1. It is always eye opening to visit a place that works with children in such dire need. We are incredibly blessed. Thank you for sharing about Compassion.
    Keep up the God work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh..I cannot even imagine!! we take so much for granted and half of the time don't even notice enough to count our blessings.. I would love to go here...and take my family...everyone could learn something.
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Angie, what a great post.
    I will remember this for a future road trip with the boys.

    ReplyDelete