Saturday, March 28, 2009

I Told Them So

When my mother, as a child, would fight with her sister, her mother told her that one day she would grow up and live far away from her sister and miss her so much she'd wish she could see her again. My mother and aunt couldn't see that happening and thought, 'Nah."

Sure enough, years later, as adults, they did miss each other and realized their mother was right.

When I was a child, a few decades ago, and would fight with my brother and two sisters, my mother told me what her mother had told her, that one day we would grow up and live far away from each other and would miss each other and would want to see each other again. My siblings and I, as young kids, couldn't imagine that happening and thought, "Nah."

Sure enough, years later, I dearly miss my sister in California and my sister and brother in Oregon. Visits are few and far between. We haven't all been together in 19 years. We realized our mother was right.

So I tell my children when they fight (do you notice a pattern here?) what my mother told me. That one day, they will grow up and live far away from each other and will, believe it or not, miss each other and want to see each other again. In the midst of their daily, sometimes hourly squabbles, they can't imagine that happening and think, "Nah." I am tickled pink to see the prophecy already coming true.





Do they look happy to be together or what? Over spring break, Andrew went from Eastern Iowa, and Erica traveled from Northern Wisconsin to visit Kiah in Southwest Minnesota.


They are learning that I was, gasp, right. And if I could be right in this one thing, might I also be right in others? Just a thought.

1 comment:

  1. YOu are so right and the pattern runs in all families. I love that moms are right...eventually. This post reminds me of the Trace Adkins song "You're gonna miss this"
    click on the link below to hear the song on youtube. It will bring a tear to your eye!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG9XfJxMY8A
    Lori

    ReplyDelete