Saturday, August 22, 2009

When I grow up I want to be...Just like my siblings...

By Erica

The crazy thing about families is that you don't realize how much you're influenced in little ways by the people you grow up with. One thing I've realized this year is how much my older siblings have shaped my life.

I grew up resenting the teasing and the endless jokes played on me by my two older sisters and brother, but as much as I was fed up with their torment I was ridiculously jealous of the privileges they received and I couldn't wait to grow up to be one of the top dogs.

When I grew up I was going to be completely different then my older brother and sisters, I was going to be so much cooler than them, obviously! But as Christina, Andrew and Kiah all moved out and started their own lives I began to realize how funnily similar my habits were compared to my siblings.

Such as

We call Christina the Second Mother for a reason-- she is bossy! But as I looked past that ( hard as it is) I realized we're pretty similiar. We both stay up into the late hours of the night, we're both so stubborn it leads to many territorial battles, we both have a love for photography and I hear we're both slightly messy.

I've learned alot from Tina. She's an avid traveler, leaving us in a couple weeks to live in Spain for a year. I like seeing her drive after something and making things happen. Tina has shown me an example of seeing something and working hard for it.



Out of all my siblings Andrew has been my greatest influence. When I was younger he convinced me to leave Barbies behind and play endless games of football in the front yard. He also played everlasting games of Imagination with us. Imagination was a game where we drew sketches of huge castle-like houses and imagined living in them as orphans, rich cowboys and everything else you can imagine!

He also shaped my interests in music, anything Andrew listens to I'll listen to too. I've been drawn into soft rock, indie, alternative but I do draw the line at Country!

Another thing I've appreciated about Andrew is watching him in his relationship with his girlfriend and seeing the respect and love he has for her. Its given me a new resolve to wait till I find the right person who will treat me with respect and love me, even if it takes awhile.

Kiah is the little voice in my head whenever I go clothes shopping-Make sure it fits. Will you wear it in 6 months? Do you have anything that matches it?

Kiah and I have had a pretty Italian-like relationship, we love and hate each other! And again my mom says that we both might be a little messy. As far as personality traits go we are pretty much polar opposites (except for our love of Starbucks, although hers might be more of an obsession)

But Kiah is also a big influence in my life. I grew up wanting to be just like Kiah. I love how she works hard to keep things balanced in her life. I enjoy her talking to me and giving me advice. This summer at Camp it was fun to hang out and talk to her about Christianity,and to see her maternal side come out with the little campers. I really wish I could cook like her!

Siblings..you can't live with them (but you're forced too) and you sure can't live without them (but you have too).

3 comments: