Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Red Letter Day


I have no greater joy than to hear

that my children are walking in the truth.
--3 John 1:4--

Erica was baptized last week and it was special time for all of us. Our church practices Believer's baptism by immersion. We see baptism as symbolic, an outside indication of what has happened on the inside. A public profession that it is her choice, not her parents choosing for her, to be a Christ follower.

The bad thing is our church doesn't have a baptistry.

The good thing is we live by Lake Superior.

The bad thing is the lake was freezing that day.

The good thing is the occasion was so awesome she didn't mind the cold water.

Celebrating with friends and family


I love this picture and think it's symbolic.
Erica's Dad is holding out his hand to
steady her and show her the way.



We were buried therefore with Him by baptism
into death, in order that, just as Christ was
raised from the dead by the glory of the Father,
we too might walk in newness of life.

--Romans 6:4--


No baptismal robes - we're kind of an informal outfit.

Keith & Erica with the other person who was baptized.
(disclaimer: I am not responsible for my husband's
wardrobe. He shops for and dresses himself.)

Cortland and Erica with their youth leader

and her other youth leaders

Erica and her Daddy

A gaggle of girls plus a good-natured nephew


I love these words from Jason's Gray's song, I Am New

I am not who I was
I am being remade
I am new
I am chosen and holy
and I'm dearly loved
I am new.

Forgiven Beloved
Hidden in Christ
Made in the image of the giver of life
Righteous and Holy
Reborn and remade
Accepted and Worthy
this is our new name.

6 comments:

  1. Praise God. I am happy for your family. I got choked up on the picture you said you liked. Dad holding out his hand.
    What a glorious day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome, Angie! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool. Congrats to her.

    My kids were baptized as teens in a river in the UP. Cold water but what a day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is a baptism, cool! You're family always has the neatest things going on :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. a) Thanks for sharing that! I can't wait until I'm 18 so I can be baptized, too :)
    b) I LOVE that Jason Gray song - his new CD is so amazing :)
    c) Thanks for dropping by my blog so often - your comments warm my heart and encourage me to continue walking with Jesus. You are such a blessing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a special day!
    Even though it is blazing hot here I got a chill thinking about that cold water!

    ps Our 119degrees is quite unusual.
    We usually get a couple 115degree days per year! It was 113 this week but with the humidity it felt like 120. There is a 99degree high in the forecast this weekend and we are SOOOOO excited!

    ReplyDelete