Friday, January 29, 2010

I Didn't Know That


While we're on the subject of why snow is white, Jon Peters from Peters in a Nutshell, informed me that a Polar Bear's fur is not really white.

Who needs Google when you have blog friends who know more than you do?

I'm so much smarter now than I was three days ago.

I found this explanation at Polar Bears International:

"Despite what our eyes tell us, a polar bear's fur is not white. Each hair shaft is pigment-free and transparent with a hollow core. Polar bears look white because the hollow core scatters and reflects visible light, much like ice and snow does.

"Because the polar bear's fur lacks pigment, it appears white when clean and in sunlight, especially just after the molt period, which typically begins in late April or May and is complete by late summer."

Let me get this straight - An animal with transparent fur sits on a frozen clear substance and light makes everything look white.

So the question begs, what color is snow and Polar Bears when it's dark?

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful family you have! I just thought I would stop by and say hello. I too am a Pastor's wife. Praying that you have a wonderful year!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! You learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love learning facts and watching animal documentaries :o)

    I remember one about polar bears and how they would actually cover their noses with their paws...for camaflouging when they are hunting. (It's been a long long time since I saw that, but if I remember that correctly...that's what sticks in my mind!) haha

    Blessings & Aloha!

    ReplyDelete